Middle English Dictionary Entry
|Forms||Sampsǒun n. Also sam(p)son, sansun.|
|Etymology||OE Samsōn (from L) & L Samsōn, Sampsōn, ML Sansōn; ult. Gr.|
Definitions (Senses and Subsenses)
(a) Samson, the name of a biblical Hebrew hero, often used with allusion to his great strength; also, used to imitate drunken snoring [quot.: CT.Pard.]; (b) as surname.
- c1230(?a1200) Ancr.(Corp-C 402)203/8 : Samsones [Cleo: Sansunes; Tit: Sampsones] strengðe, þe sloh a þusent of his fan.
- (1340) Ayenb.(Arun 57)204/14 : Þench þet non ne wes strenger þanne samson fortin.
- (c1375) Chaucer CT.Mk.(Manly-Rickert)B.3245 : This Sampsoun neuere ciser drank ne wyn.
- (a1382) WBible(1) (Bod 959)Judg.14.6 : Þe spirit of þe lord forsoþe fel in to Sampson, & he tar þe lyown.
- (c1390) Chaucer CT.Pard.(Manly-Rickert)C.554 : Thurgh thy dronke nose semeth the soun As thogh thou seydest ay 'Sampsoun, Sampsoun'.
- (c1390) Chaucer CT.Pars.(Manly-Rickert)I.955 : I rede that no man truste in his owene perfeccioun but he be stronger than Sampsoun, holier than Dauid, and wiser than Salomon.
- a1400(a1325) Cursor (Vsp A.3)4298 : Bodi o brass, Strenger þen euer sampson was.
- c1400(c1378) PPl.B (LdMisc 581)12.42 : What made Lucyfer to lese þe heigh heuene, Or salamon his sapience, or sampson his strengthe?
- a1425(a1400) PConsc.(Glb E.9 & Hrl 4196)8932 : Ilka citesayne..als mykelle strenthe had omang Als Sampson had þat was so strang.
- (1449) Metham AC (Gar 141)1302 : But ye be reulyd be me, Thow ye were as myghty as Sampson, ded ye schuld be.
- a1450 When adam delf (Cmb Dd.5.64)15 : War þou..Strengthy & strang to wreke þi wrang als euer was sampson, Þou ne myght..dede withstand allon.
- c1450(1369) Chaucer BD (Benson-Robinson)738 : For Dalida died Sampson [rime: doon], That slough hymself with a piler.
- a1500(?a1325) Otuel & R (Fil)2523 : Thow were strong as sampson.
- a1500 Salamon sat (Cmb Gg.1.32)25 : War a man..als strenthy als euyr was sampson..ʒit suld he, if he sympil were, behaldyn for a fon.
- (1209) Select Pleas Forest in Seld.Soc.137 : Robertus Sampson.
- (1219) Justice in Eyre R.in Seld.Soc.53414 : Stephen Sampsun.
- (1221) Justice in Eyre R.in Seld.Soc.531142 : John Samson.
- (1297) Sub.R.Yks.in YASRS 1678 : Mauricius Sampson.
- (1327) Sub.R.Som.in Som.RS 3210 : Willelmus Sampson.
- (1340) Court R.Colchester 1171 : John Sampson.