Middle English Dictionary Entry
|Forms||fō̆rth-with adv. Also fourth-, furþ-.|
Definitions (Senses and Subsenses)
- (a1393) Gower CA (Frf 3)2.1204 : God ordeined of his grace That forthwith in the same place This Senatour his trowthe plihte.
- c1425(a1420) Lydg.TB (Aug A.4)1.3396 : And riʒt forþewith, in þe silfe place, He gan hem sowe.
- (1429) Will Braybroke in Ess.AST 5306 : So yat they yeue as muche therefore as other wullen, and to paie foorthwith.
- (1444) Will Daubeney in Som.RS 19343 : Forthwith the said knyght withoute ony tarrying saide [etc.].
- c1450 Alph.Tales (Add 25719)156/17 : He..was takyn þerfor & hanged evyn furthwith.
- a1475(a1456) Shirley Death Jas.(Add 5467)8 : And there and then forthwith the said Sir Robert Grame..said [etc.].
- (a1470) Malory Wks.(Win-C)36/4 : So furthwith there dressed a fourty knyghtes and seyde [etc.].
- ?a1475 Ludus C.(Vsp D.8)30/48 : I wyl fforth with applye me þerto.
- a1500(?c1400) Song Roland (Lnsd 388)686 : With that com barbarins furthe-with in-ded.
- 1530(c1450) Mirror Our Lady (Fawkes)3 : I expounde yt..other before the letter or after or else fourthewyth togyther.
- c1425(a1420) Lydg.TB (Aug A.4)1.2711 : Medea..bod no lenger, but furþe-with anoon Vn-to hir chambre in hast sche is goon.
- (c1443) Pecock Rule (Mrg M 519)352 : And anoon forþ wiþ seint poul settiþ þe cause whi [etc.].
- a1475(a1447) Bokenham MAngl.(Hrl 4011)9/30 : Hit semeth rayne vnwarly to be lifted vppe, and anone forthe-withe it is diffundid in to þe feldis.
- c1475 Guy(1) (Cai 107/176)2180 : Suche a stroke he smote him vpon That dey he wende forth-with anoon.
- (a1393) Gower CA (Frf 3)5.643 : The god of fyr..hath a craft forthwith Assigned forto be the Smith Of Jupiter.
- a1400(a1325) Cursor (Vsp A.3)16324 : Qui askes þou? It es þe forthwit [Göt: forwid; Trin-C: bifore] taght.
- (1442) Let.Bekynton in RS 56.2196 : His son, called the Dolphin, with the Conestable and Marschall of France forth with have leyd siege unto your cite of Baion.