[British troop dispositions in and near New York City, July and August 1781].
About this Item
- [British troop dispositions in and near New York City, July and August 1781].
- Finished, colored map of the New York City area controlled by the British showing positions of units and giving their numerical strengths.
- Additions to Long Island portion of the map by Henry Clinton show topographical features and unit positions, probably relating to the 1776 Battle of Long Island.
- Additional notations by Clinton are on the verso of the map including the statement: This map of his to shew my force in Augt. & July 81 & how the troops were disposed & employed.
- Other notations on the verso described planned disruption of American military activities by a British force.
- On a separate sheet Clinton has totaled the number of troops in the New York City area and added further related comments.
- Names and Subjects
- Long Island, Battle of, New York, N.Y., 1776--Maps, Manuscript.
- Manuscript maps.
- Maps shelf.
- Clinton Maps.
- Brun Guide.
- New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.)--Manuscript maps.
- Manhattan (New York, N.Y.)--Manuscript maps.
- New York (N.Y.)--Manuscript maps.
- Long Island (N.Y.)--Manuscript maps.
- New York (State)--Manuscript maps.
- New Jersey--Manuscript maps.
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Manuscript maps.
- Clinton, Henry,--Sir,--1738?-1795.
- Physical Description
- 1 ms. map ; 47.2 x 65 cm.
- Map Scale
- Scale indeterminate.
- Digitized through a gift from Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps
- William L. Clements Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2019-09-06 13:52:22
- William L. Clements Library Image Bank
- Image Size
- 11720 x 7936
- File Size
- 3 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the William L. Clements Library. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library IT.
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"[British troop dispositions in and near New York City, July and August 1781].". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wcl1ic/x-8655/wcl008726. William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. February 05, 2023.