The Pipe Dance and The Tomahawk Dance : of the Chippeway tribe / Painted at the treaty of Prairie du Chien 1825 by J.O. Lewis.
About this Item
- The Pipe Dance and The Tomahawk Dance : of the Chippeway tribe / Painted at the treaty of Prairie du Chien 1825 by J.O. Lewis.
- [between 1835 and 1836]
- Depiction of the Pipe Dance and Tomahawk Dance of the Chippeway showing four Chippewa tribesmen holding tomahawks, gunstock war clubs, smoking pipes, swords, spears and rifles dressed in feather headdresses, facepaint, breech-cloths, and leggings and dancing while a fifth tribesman is seated on a fur rug beating a large drum.
- Names and Subjects
- Indians of North America--Treaties.
- Indians of North America--Clothing.
- Ojibwa Indians.
- Drums (Musical instruments)--1820-1830.
- Face painting--1820-1830.
- Pipes (Smoking)--1820-1830.
- Rites & ceremonies--1820-1830.
- Tribal chiefs--Wisconsin--Prairie du Chien--1820-1830.
- Prints shelf.
- Lehman & Duval Lithrs.,--lithographer.
- The aboriginal port-folio: a collection of portraits of the most celebrated chiefs of the North American Indians.
- United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia.
- Physical Description
- 1 print : lithograph, hand-colored ; sheet 43.7 x 28 cm
- William L. Clements Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2018-11-06 13:30:57
- William L. Clements Library Image Bank
- Image Size
- 11456 x 6742
- File Size
- 4 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the William L. Clements Library. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library IT.
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
- In public portfolios
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"The Pipe Dance and The Tomahawk Dance : of the Chippeway tribe / Painted at the treaty of Prairie du Chien 1825 by J.O. Lewis.". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wcl1ic/x-6803/wcl006869. William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. February 04, 2023.