Bloomerism in practice : the morning after the victory / A.W.
About this Item
- Bloomerism in practice : the morning after the victory / A.W.
- Interior scene with a woman (Mrs. Turkey) sitting on the arm of a rocking chair in a lounging outfit, smoking. A puff of smoke above her head contains the message, "For President, Mrs. Turkey!" A man (Mr. Turkey) is sitting in the rocking chair, hunched over while mending a coat. Mrs. Turkey's conventional dress lies discarded in the left foreground. A young boy stands in the right foreground, crying and holding a sign that reads, "No more Papa & Mama." Two women (a cook and a maid) enter the room through a doorway in the center background, wearing bloomer costumes and holding signs reading, "No more basement & kitchen" and "No more massa & missus." A hanging, framed document partially visible in upper left background refers to women's rights.
- Printed in lower margin: "Mrs. Turkey reposing on her laurels, waiting for breakfast. Mr. Turkey mending his coat-tail. Enters Master Turkey crying, 'Oh Ma! Breakfast will never be ready, for Biddy says she wants to do like Missus, and won't cook anymore, sez she!' (First disappointment.)"
- Printed in upper left corner: Pl. 17.
- Names and Subjects
- Clothing and dress--Social aspects--United States--History.
- Women--Conduct of life--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Caricatures and cartoons--United States.
- Humbug's American Museum series.
- Prints shelf.
- Physical Description
- 1 print : lithograph ; 30.3 x 24.2 cm.
- William L. Clements Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2016-01-06 00:03:58
- William L. Clements Library Image Bank
- Image Size
- 3639 x 3637
- File Size
- 1 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the William L. Clements Library. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library IT.
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Bloomerism in practice : the morning after the victory / A.W.". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wcl1ic/x-276/wcl000349. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2022.