Nieuw Nederlandt / lith. by H.R. Robinson, for D.T. Valentine's Manuel.
About this Item
- Nieuw Nederlandt / lith. by H.R. Robinson, for D.T. Valentine's Manuel.
- Birds-eye-view of Fort Amsterdam (modern-day Fort George) on the tip of Manhattan island as it appeared in 1651. Large merchant ships and American Indian canoes can be seen floating in the river.
- Printed in lower margin: This view of Fort Amsterdam on the Manhattan is copied from an ancient engraving executed in Holland. The fort was erected in 1623 but finished upon the above model by Governor Van Twiller in 1635.
- The word "manual" is misspelled in the statement of responsibility on the item.
- Disbound from: Manual of the corporation of the city of New York, 1850 (New York, N.Y. Common Council).
- Names and Subjects
- Indians of North America--New England--History--17th century.
- Colonies--History--17th century.
- Forts & fortifications--New York (State)--New York--1650-1660.
- Miscellaneous prints.
- Prints shelf.
- New Netherland--Pictorial works.
- Fort George (New York, N.Y.)--Pictorial works.
- New York (N.Y.)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works.
- New York (State)--History.
- Valentine, D. T.--(David Thomas),--1801-1869.
- New York (N.Y.).--Common Council.
- Manual of the corporation of the city of New York.
- United States--New York--New York.
- Physical Description
- 1 print : lithograph, tinted ; image 7.2 x 17 cm, on sheet 10.9 x 19 cm
- William L. Clements Library
- Date Added/Updated
- 2016-11-18 11:19:11
- William L. Clements Library Image Bank
- Image Size
- 3011 x 2745
- File Size
- 463 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials may be under copyright. If you decide to use any of these materials, you are responsible for making your own legal assessment and securing any necessary permission. If you have questions about the collection, please contact the William L. Clements Library. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library IT.
- More Item Details
- Catalog Record
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"Nieuw Nederlandt / lith. by H.R. Robinson, for D.T. Valentine's Manuel.". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/w/wcl1ic/x-1077/wcl001171. William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. March 24, 2023.