In 1956 the Hoover Ball Bearing Plant was acquired at a cost of $1,800,000, financed from University sources. This facility became the Plant Service Buildings at Hoover and Greene Streets. The complex included eight structures containing 3,904,252 cubic feet and 174,813 gross square feet and approximately 13 acres valued at $188,000. These buildings provided a very suitable facility for plant shops, storage, and vehicle service areas, allowing a significantly expanded space for these functions in their move from the previous location at Forest and North University.
The first new administrative office building built at the Hoover and Greene Street location was the Data Processing Center, constructed in 1963 at a cost of $310,000, financed from University sources. This was also the first campus building specifically designed for the use of a major-size computer. In 1966 it was connected with the new Administrative Services Building. It was designed by Charles W. Lane Associates, Inc. and constructed by Spence Brothers Company.
Page 88Following the move from the Central Campus to the Hoover Street complex, Transportation Services continued to grow. In 1969 E. E. Kurtz Company completed a 19,060-square-foot Transportation Services Building at 326 East Hoover Street. Design of this $285,698 University-funded project was by Engineering Services. The unit continued to grow and after detailed studies and exploration of alternate sites on the North Campus and in the South Campus area in 1975, it was determined that further expansion of the present service facility in the Plant area on Hoover Street was the most practical solution to the needs for additional space. Hillyer Construction Company completed a Colvin, Robinson Associates-designed $460,000 expansion and renovation program in 1976. The project was funded from University sources. The facility now contains 586,692 cubic feet and 34,120 gross square feet.
A relocation in an expanded facility was approved in May of 1968 for the Food Stores Building at 3600 Varsity Drive, south of the 1-94 expressway along the Ann Arbor Railroad right-of-way on a 26.59 acre parcel acquired for $60,000. Cunningham-Limp Company, of Birmingham, Michigan, constructed the facility. Work began in October of 1968 and was completed in July of 1970 at a cost of $1,900,000, financed from University sources. The new structure includes 2,245,370 cubic feet and 83,178 gross square feet. The old Food Service Building on Glen Avenue was remodeled for the Neuroscience Laboratories.
The Madison Building at 109 East Madison Street was built about 1900 and formerly housed the Nelson Plumbing Company. This three-story brick structure had been completely rehabilitated in 1968-69, and when it was offered for sale in 1970, the Regents approved purchase at a project price of $415,000. Financing was from University sources, and the 21,731-square-foot addition to University facilities was assigned to the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching and to other academic units which had been housed in overcrowded and leased spaces.
The Administrative Services Building at 1009 Greene Street was approved for construction in February of 1964, and at that time Colvin, Robinson and Wright were approved as architects. The Perry Construction Company was awarded Page 89the construction contract in November of 1964. The building was completed in February of 1966 at a cost of $1,000,000, financed from University sources. It was built contiguous to the Data Processing Building and both structures were combined as the Administrative Services Building at a value of $1,327,000. In October of 1969 approval was given to build an addition and this was completed by the Saline Construction Company in 1971 at an added cost of $800,000, financed from University sources. The present structure includes 1,145,343 cubic feet and 89,745 gross square feet and houses several administrative offices (purchasing, personnel, payroll, staff benefits, audits, and accounting, as well as data processing).
The Regents, in October of 1974, approved the relocation and construction of an enlarged facility for the Chemistry Stores at 3580 Varsity Drive south of the I-94 expressway. Cunningham-Limp Company was engaged to build the facility and work began in December of 1974. It was completed in October of 1974 at a cost of $1,200,000. Funded from University sources, it contains 991,137 cubic feet and 47,711 gross square feet of space.
The Mail Service Building at 1032 Greene Street was acquired in May of 1975 when the Regents approved purchase of the former American Rug Cleaning Works on Greene Street for $77,000. University-funded renovations, totaling $59,922 in this one-story, 5,850-square-foot structure, provided an ideal facility for relocating the University Mail Services in the Plant Service area and away from the Central Campus. The spaces released in the Literature, Science, and Arts Building by the move of the Mail Service were reassigned for academic uses.
The Matt Mann Pool at 616 East Hoover Street was completed by the Henry deKoning Construction Company in March of 1956 at a cost of $828,000, financed from funds made available by the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics. It includes 725,440 cubic feet and 29,407 gross square feet. The pool is sited between the Athletic Administration Building and the Intramural Building. It was designed by Giffels and Vallet and allowed the former Intramural Pool to be used totally for intramural swimming. Complete with locker and training rooms, the new facility provided Page 90spectator seating for 3,000 on three sides of the pool. Special radio and television facilities were also provided. The pool's novel design of a special 20' X 40' diving pool adjacent and connected to the varsity pool resulted from an idea projected by the late Matt Mann, who served as Michigan's swimming coach for many years and for whom the pool was named. This design enables both swimmers and divers to work out simultaneously. An additional feature is a three-elevation diving board.
In September of 1956 the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics financed an addition to the football stadium for a significantly improved Stadium Communications Center at 1201 South Main Street, at a cost of $520,000. It was constructed by the Henry deKoning Construction Company. The Center was designed by Osborn Engineering Company, the firm who designed the Stadium. This new facility replaced the original 1927 press box with a modern, triple-deck, 16,978-square-foot communications center. Situated at the top of the west side of the bowl, between the 20-yard lines, the overhanging structure permitted seating underneath and raised the Stadium's seating capacity from 97,239 to 101,001. The lower deck was designed to accommodate 203 sports writers in three rows of seats. The unenclosed middle deck is reserved for photographers, and the top deck contains 18 radio and television booths. An elevator, lunch room for the working press, as well as such support service areas as dark rooms, duplication machines, and wire service facilities are also provided. Projecting from the center of the first deck on the west side is a private dining room with kitchen, seating approximately 75 persons, for use by the University President for special parties of visiting dignitaries. A private box for use by the President and his party is adjacent.
The Crisler Arena at 333 East Stadium Boulevard was first known as the University Events Building. It was designed by K. C. Black and D. L. Dworsky. First plans were approved by the Regents in February and site selection was made in March of 1964. Work began on the structure in September of 1965 and it was completed by the Spence Brothers Company in June of 1968 at a cost of $6,500,000, financed from gifts and University sources, including student-fee allocations. In February of 1970 the building was renamed in honor of Herbert O. ("Fritz") Crisler, Michigan's former Page 91football coach and long-time athletic director. It contains 8,469,365 cubic feet and 201,127 gross square feet. Sited next to the Michigan Stadium, this arena serves not only as "home court" for varsity basketball and other athletic teams, but also provides assembly facilities for educational, cultural, and entertainment opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. A press box and other support facilities are also provided in the project. Comfortable permanent seating is provided for over 13,000 spectators and, since its completion, the arena has been the site for University Commencement Exercises.
The Sports Service Building at 1200 South State Street was constructed in September of 1971 at a cost of $500,000 from funds furnished by the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics. It was designed by Colvin, Wright and Robinson, Associates, and constructed by the Henry deKoning Construction Company. This 19,709 square foot facility on Ferry Field contains locker, exercise, equipment, and training rooms as well as classrooms which are primarily used by the football program.
The William D. Revelli Band Rehearsal Hall at 350 East Hoover Street was approved by the Regents in July of 1972. Work began on the structure in October of 1972 and the project was completed by Cunningham-Limp Company in July of 1973 at a cost of $475,000, which was financed by gifts. Locating the structure in the athletics area facilitated access for the marching band to its main performance areas. Located directly across from their Elbel (Wines) Field practice areas, this 10,558-square-foot structure serves as headquarters for the Michigan Marching Band. The building was named to honor the man who served as conductor and then director of the University's bands for 36 years. Facilities include a large rehearsal hall, offices, a music library, storage rooms for uniforms, instruments, and property, as well as locker areas for band members.
The Field House at 1116 South State Street was remodeled in November of 1973 and renamed the Yost Ice Arena. Funds for this project were furnished by the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics. Charles R. Beltz and Company provided engineering services for this $555,134 project. Upon completion of the remodeling, the facility's name was Page 92changed to Yost Ice Arena to better reflect its new usage. It was named in honor of Michigan's famed football coach of early years.
The Track and Tennis Building at 1150 South State Street was approved by the Regents in April of 1973. It was completed by the Henry deKoning Construction Company in May of 1974 at a cost of $1,000,000 which was provided by the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics. It contains 1,985,334-cubic-feet and 69,580 gross square feet and provides space for indoor track, tennis, and various other sports. Locker and shower facilities and the equipment and training rooms in this facility are reserved for Intercollegiate Athletic use. The five indoor tennis courts and the six-lane tartan surfaced running track are at times available for use by townspeople, students, faculty, and staff and their spouses at regularly scheduled hours for minimal fees. The Colvin, Robinson Associates designed the building. It also contains two indoor batting cages and has folding bleachers seating 1,500 to 1,800 for track meets. During vacation periods, the facility has also been used for such events as the Ann Arbor Builder's Show.