The Committee on Office Personnel was discontinued January 26, 1945, and its duties were absorbed by the Personnel Office established at that time.
The number of staff members of all types grew rapidly following World War II. Full-time counts grew from an estimated 5,500 in 1945-46 to 7,363 in 1951-52, 9,400 in 1959-60, 13,650 in 1969-70, and 14,121 in 1976-77.
In addition to full-time appointments, the University always has relied upon a relatively large number of part-time workers, including many student employees in the hospital, libraries, and residence halls. Also included are a large number of temporary appointees who work for a period as short as one or two days or who work intermittently from time to time. For the last six or seven years, total part-time counts have ranged between 9,000 and 10,000 per year.
Employee counts taken from payroll records during the month of October are reported annually to the U. S. Census Bureau. These counts are used as the institution's official count of employees for each year. Reports are also furnished monthly and quarterly to the Michigan Employment Security Commission, and these are automatically transmitted to the U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Annual reports are also furnished to the U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Special reports on the number of faculty are furnished each year to the American Association of University Professors and exchanged among the Big Ten universities.