- Sail Number Masts
- Engine Number Propellers
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- 1867 Enrolled Buffalo, NY; largest propeller on the Lakes.
- 1869, Nov Collision with bark WININA, Straits of Mackinac.
- 1869 Two 18, 36 x 36", 700hp @ 85rpm steeple compound engines by King Iron Works, Buffalo, NY.
- 1871, Sep 28 Burned, Chicago, IL; upper works destroyed.
- 1877 Repaired.
- 1878, Apr 29 New arches, Buffalo.
- 1881, Mar 3 Major repairs.
- 1883, Sep 17 Owned Cornelia Hamilton, Buffalo.
- 1885, Jul 13 Owned William W. Tyler et al, Buffalo; 3 masts, 3/4 x 20" plate arches.
- 1887 Two 10 x 11', 100# steam scotch boilers by Dry Dock Engine Works, Detroit, MI.
- 1888 Rebuilt.
- 1892, Jul 12 Owned Edward D. Commings (or Cummings), Chicago, IL; 1 mast.
- 1892, Aug 25 Owned Michael J. Gavin et al, Buffalo.
- 1892-93 Rebuilt, Wolf & Davidson's yard, Milwaukee; fitted for carrying passengers.
- 1894, Apr 21 Owned Milwaukee Dry Dock Co., Milwaukee; changed rig to 2 decks 3 masts.
- 1894, Jul 27 Owned John C. Fitzpatrick et al, Buffalo.
- 1897, Apr 29 Owned Frederick D. Underwood et al, Buffalo.
- 1899, Aug 18 Owned Robert H. Hebard et al, Buffalo.
- 1900, Apr 6 Owned William E. Fitzgerald et al, Milwaukee.
- 1900, Nov 9 Ashore, North Bay near Presque Isle Light, Lake Huron.
- 1902, Jan 11 Owned Samuel Neff et al, Milwaukee.
- 1902, Jul 2 Owned John J. Boland et al, Buffalo.
- 1902 Aug 27 Renamed CONGRESS.
- 1902 Rebuilt at Chicago's North Branch Yard; 1 deck, 2 masts, spar deck & upper works removed, replanked & recaulked; 265.5 x 35.5 x 12.9', 1,320.95 gross tons.
- 1904, Oct 4 Burned 1/4 mile offshore South Manitou Island, Lake Michigan; later towed out & sunk.
- 1904, Oct 10 Enrollment surrendered, Buffalo "Total loss by fire".
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Lytle List
- List of Merchant Vessels of the United States
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Dat
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-23 01:18:21
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio