- Original Owner
- United States Government - Corps of Topographical Engineers
- Original Owner Location
- Washington, D. C.
- Ownership Notes
- Or, built New York, NY by Merrick & Sons.
- 143 or 138'
- 21 or 21' 6"
- 8' 9"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 230 or 250
History and Notes
- Named after Secretary of War; built to survey Great Lakes.
- c1857 Renamed SEARCH.
- 1860, Jul Broke shaft near Goderich, ONT, Lake Huron.
- 1878, Jun 15 Owned S. B. Grummond, Detroit, MI; renamed GRACE GRUMMOND, US85552; 136.5 x 22 x 8.6, 195.11 gross tons, one mast; ran passenger excursions in Detroit area.
- 1878, Aug Ran Chicago, IL - South Haven, MI.
- 1880, May Ran Cleveland, OH - Port Stanley, ONT.
- 1880, Oct 21 Owned Frank D. Welcome, Detroit.
- 1882, May 12 Same owner, South Haven; ran Chicago - South Haven.
- 1883, May 5 Owned F. D. Welcome with Patrick Lawler & Peter O'Connor, Chicago; 98.35 net tons.
- 1883, Oct Broke crosshead near Michigan City, IN, Lake Michigan.
- 1884, Feb Ran Duluth - Agate Bay for Duluth & Iron Range Railroad.
- 1884, May 7 Owned Patrick Lawler & Peter O'Connor, Chicago.
- 1884, Sep 16 Owned Peter O'Connor, Chicago.
- 1884, Nov 5 Burned at dock, South Haven, Lake Michigan; laid up until rebuilt.
- 1887, Aug 12 Rebuilt as 3 mast schooner; 136.6 x 21.8 x 9; 205.5 gross / 195.23 net tons; owned John Saveland, F. C. Maxon, & M. O. Parker, Milwaukee, WI.
- 1897, Apr 7 Owned Charles H. Ellis & H. H. Schroeder, Milwaukee.
- 1898, Dec 30 Damaged by fire, Green Bay, WI.
- 1904, Mar 31 Documents surrendered, sold Canadian; renamed BALTIC, C116761; owned Galna & Dauter, Parry Sound, ONT.
- Late 1930s Abandoned Port Maitland, ONT, then towed to Clear Creek, east of Port Burwell & used by Kolby Fish Co. as breakwater for tugs.
- 1940 Scrapped.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- F.E. Hamilton
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- C. Patrick Labadie
- Bowling Green State University
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 09:21:15