- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- Final Location
- 3 miles west of Buffalo, NY on Tecumseh Reef, Lake Erie.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Owner Hutchinson & Co.. In tow of MARUBA. Abandoned as total loss.
- Wreck located in 1962.
History and Notes
- One of largest wooden vessels ever built.
- 1900 Owned at Duluth.
- 1900, Nov 3 Damaged in storm.
- 1901, Nov CITY OF GLASGOW towed ABYSSINIA.
- 1906 Seaman Ben Larson lost overboard Lake Superior near Michigan Island.
- 1912 E.M. PECK towed ABYSSINIA
- 1917, Dec 18 Wrecked near Buffalo, NY.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- John O. Greenwood
- International Ship Masters Association
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Beers, History of the Great Lakes, J.B. Mansfield
- Unique ID
- Louis Pesha
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 11:32:58
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio