- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 385,000' lumber
- Final Location
- Opposite McGregor Point.
- St. Clair River.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Bound Cleveland, OH to Algoma Mills, ONT with A. ANDERSON in tow, sunk in collision with steamer MILWAUKEE; 2 lives lost; later blown up to clear the channel.
History and Notes
- 1870, Sep 1 Enrolled Port Huron, built for lumber trade; towed several barges; cost $10,000.
- 1871, May 6 received machinery, 20 + 36 x 30', 400hp @ 95rpm steeple compound engine by Cuyaoga Iron Works, Cleveland, OH (1870).
- 1873, Apr 26 Same owners, Vicksburg (Marysville), MI.
- 1875 In Saginaw, MI, Buffalo, NY & Tonawanda, NY lumber trade.
- 1876 Repaired.
- 1880 Major repair; 8.5 x 16' @ 85# pressure firebox boiler by Desotelle & Hutton, Detroit (1880).
- 1881 Towed barges BAHAMA, LEADER & JUPITER in Bay City, MI & Cleveland lumber trade.
- 1885 Towed BAHAMA & YANKEE.
- 1888, Apr 20 Owned N. Mills & Co., Cleveland; towed barges JUPITER, LEADER & H.S. WALBRIDGE.
- 1890, Sep 23 Lost deckloads & tow of YANKEE in storm near north end Beaver Island, Lake Michigan.
- 1891, Jan Engine being compounded by Phoenix Iron Works, Port Huron, MI.
- 1892, Jul 14 Holed & sunk on reef near Naubinway, crew rescued by steamer HUNTER.
- 1892, Jul 28 Raised by wrecker FAVORITE.
- 1893 Ran Duluth, MN to Toledo, OH with lumber; towed KING, ROBERTS & DONALDSON.
- 1897 Towed MONTGOMERY & JOHN O'NEIL.
- 1898 Towed KNAPP & ROBERTS.
- 1900 Towed EXILE & CROSTHWAITE.
- 1901 Towed CHECOTAH.
- 1901, May 2 Owned Port Huron Navigation Co.; N. Mills, President.
- 1906, Sep 6 Sunk St. Clair River.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- Newspaper Clippings
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 22:55:33
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio