- Original Owner
- U.S. Navy
- Ownership Notes
- Sections prefabricated by Stackhouse & Tomlinson in Pittsburgh, PA & assembled in Erie, PA.
- Tonnage Gross
History and Notes
- Built for defense of the Lakes after the Canadian Rebellion of 1837-40 because of armed British ships on the Lakes.
- 1843, Dec 5 Launched.
- 1844, Sep 29 Commissioned; armed with two 68" Paixhans cannons & four 32# carronades, but because of the Rush-Bagot British-American disarmament treaty, was reduced to single 18 pounder.
- 1851, May Assisted in the arrest of James J. Strang, "king" of the Kingdom of God on Earth Mormon Colony, established on Beaver Island, MI, Lake Michigan.
- 1853, Apr Changed to schooner rig.
- 1853, May 9 Collision with propeller BUFFALO off Pointe Aux Barques, MI, Lake Michigan.
- 1853, Jun 2 Repaired.
- 1853, Aug Repaired, Chicago, IL.
- 1861 Patrolled Lakes Erie, Huron & Michigan durning first part of the Civil War; Armament increased; 10, 20 & 30# Parrotts; 12, 24# howitzers; one 64# bowgun; 1 stern gun.
- 1863-64 Guarded Johnson's Island near Sandusky, OH where Confederate prisoners were kept.
- 1868 Took active part in repressing Fenian invasion of Canada.
- 1873, Jul Ashore at Light House Point; pulled off, uninjured, by propellor BROOKLYN.
- 1887, Apr Received new Gatling gun; long pattern.
- 1887, Aug Only American vessel on the Great Lakes designated by Secretary of the Navy to enlist apprentice boys for the Navy.
- 1892-93 Reconditioned; 2 new scotch boilers.
- 1895 Aground Pelee Island, ONT.
- 1905, Jun 21 Renamed WOLVERINE because new battleship named MICHIGAN was built.
- 1912, May 6 Decommissioned & turned over to Pennsylvania Naval Militia for reserve training.
- 1923, Aug 12 Port-side connecting rod fractured on Lake Huron; returned to Erie; Navy vetoed repairs; beached Misery Bay, Erie, PA.
- 1848 Scrapped.
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- "U.S.S. MICHIGAN" by Herbert Reynolds Spenser
- "The Iron Ship" by M.M. Quaife
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 22:20:08