- Original Owner
- Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Co.
- Ownership Notes
- Designer, Frank E. Kirby.
- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- Named for daughter of MI Senator James McMillan.
- 1879 Toledo, OH & Lake Erie Islands route; chartered by Wabash Railroad.
- 1880 Detriot River route.
- 1881, Apr 18 Renamed IDLEWILD; owned Star Line Co.
- 1881 Detroit, MI & Port Huron, MI route.
- 1882, Aug 25 Collided with Proctors dock, Sarnia, ONT.
- 1884, Apr 9 Enrolled Port Huron; owned Henry Howard, the "Port Huron Star Line".
- 1886 Rate & speed war with competitor DARIUS COLE.
- 1886, Oct 25 Struck by schooner JOHN RICE.
- 1887, Feb Repaired, John Oades Shipyard, Detroit.
- 1887 Detroit & Toledo route for consolidated Star-Cole Line.
- 1887, Aug 22 Collided with steamer EVENING STAR near Turtle Light.
- 1889, Jul 19 Owned Red Star Line.
- 1889-90, Winter Lengthened, Cleveland Ship Building Co.; 186 x 26 x 7.4', 363 gross/ 284 net tons.
- 1893-94, Winter New firebox boiler, Saginaw Boiler Works, Detroit; 9'5" x 15'6" @ 114# steam.
- 1895, Aug 22 Collided with & sunk schooner FERRET, Toledo, OH harbor.
- 1896 Owned White Star Line.
- 1899 Owned A.R. Lee, Bangor, MI.
- 1905 Buffalo, NY & Dunkirk, NY route.
- 1914 Rebuilt as barge; 129 gross tons; Molasses trade, Oswego, NY to Port Hope, ONT.
- 1914, Sep 23 Documents surrendered.
- 1918 To Coast.
- 1919 Registered, New York City, NY.
- 1919, Mar Stranded, Hudson River, Peekskill, NY.
- 1923, Mar 3 Documents surrendered.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Marine Historian, Marine Historical Society of Detroit
- John O. Greenwood
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- G.P. Bugbee
- F.E. Hamilt
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 21:58:48
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio