- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- Early 1870's Passenger & freight service, Sarnia & Collingwood, ONT to Fort William ONT & Duluth, MN.
- 1871, Aug 25 Ashore, heavy fog near Isle of Coves, ONT, Lake Huron; released.
- 1872, Apr 8 Repaired, Chicago, IL.
- 1872, Jul 11 Stranded on reef near Michipicoten Island, Lake Superior; later released by steamer CUMBERLAND, towed to Detroit Dry Dock for repairs.
- 1873, Aug 16 First steamer to enter Fort William Harbor.
- 1875, Aug 20 Collided with & sunk steaner COMET.
- 1876 Owned Northwest Transportation Co., Sarnia, ONT.
- 1883, Jun 15 Broken down, Sault Ste. Marie, MI; towed to Sarnia by UNITED EMPIRE.
- 1883, Nov 14 Ashore & wrecked Chantry Island, ONT, Lake Huron.
- 1884, May 30 Wreck recovered by tug CHARLTON, towed to Detroit, laid up.
- 1887, May 6 Owned C. G. Lincoln, Chicago.
- 1888 Owned Canada Lake Superior Transit Co. Ltd., Toronto & Collingwood, ONT.
- 1888, Apr 6 Rebuilt; 980 gross/574 net tons; renamed CARMONA; C92653; later chartered by Canadian Pacific Railway, carried railroad supplies from Sarnia to Fort William; also operated between Windsor, Detroit & Soo.
- 1891 Ran excursion & ferry service out of Toronto to Lorne Park & Grinisby, ONT.
- 1892-1893 Ran Toronto to Rochester, NY with occasional trips to Thousand Islands, ONT.
- 1895 Owned Brown & Co., St. Catherines, ONT, operated under Georgian Bay Navigation Co. Ltd.
- 1897 Dry dock, Collingwood.
- 1899 Collided with steamer SHENANDOAH.
- 1900, Jun 8 Rebuilt & lengthened, Collingwood 221 x 28 x 12'; 1,348.72 gross/882.20 net tons; renamed PITTSBURGH.
- 1902 Rebuilt upperworks, new stack.
- 1902, Sep General trade between Owen Sound, ONT & Sault Ste. Marie.
- 1903, Apr 14 Owned Huron Navigation Co. Ltd, Toronto.
- 1903, Aug 13 Burned Queen's Dock, Sandwich, ONT.
- 1904 Remains dismantled Port Dalhousie, ONT.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Scanner, Toronto Marine Historical Society
- Newspaper Clippings
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Marine Museum of Great Lakes, Kingston, ONT
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Inland Lloyds Marine Directory
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Pub
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 19:48:07
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio