- Tonnage Gross
- Final Location
- West of Keweenaw Peninsula off Eagle Harbor
- Lake Superior
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Nov 10 bound Bayfield, WI for Ontonagon, MI most of the passengers transferred to propeller CITY OF DULUTH at Bayfield due to violent winds & snow.
- Nov 16 left Bayfield, lost on lake; 23 died.
History and Notes
- 1867, Oct 16 First enrolled Milwaukee, WI.
- 1867 Winter Received addition of cabin & upperworks.
- 1868, Mar Ran Grand Haven, Muskegon, Pentwater, Pere Marquette & Manistee, MI.
- 1870, Dec 23 Owned Englemann Transportation Co., Milwaukee.
- 1871, May 3 Rebuilt & lengthened, new arches, Campbell & Owen Co., Detroit, MI; 184 x 30 x 9.1'; 625.93 gross tons; 1 deck.
- 1871, Jul 26 677.10 gross tons.
- 1871, Aug Replaced LAC LA BELLE to run Grand Haven, MI & Milwaukee.
- 1872, Jan 21 Broken bottom plank caused waterlog in Milwaukee harbor.
- 1872, May 27 Ran down schooner S. ROBINSON, 40 mi east Milwaukee port, Lake Michigan.
- 1873, Feb Trapped in ice pack, northern Lake Michigan; later freed.
- 1873, Apr 19 Owned Duluth & South Shore Transportation Co., Duluth, MN.
- 1873, Nov 12 Owned W. R. Stone et al, Duluth.
- 1874, Mar 10 Owned Duluth Lake Transportation Co., Duluth.
- 1874, Apr Refitted, Duluth.
- 1874, Jun Ran Buffalo, NY & Duluth.
- 1876-1885 Duluth link to important lower lakes shipping.
- 1876, Apr 18 Owned Sidney Luce, Duluth.
- 1876, Apr 26 Owned Joseph Austrian & Samuel F. Leopold, Chicago, IL.
- 1877, Apr Ran Duluth, Ashland, WI & Portage Lake, MI.
- 1881, Jun Refasten & strengthened, Chicago.
- 1883, Apr 16 New smokestack by Walsh.
- 1883, Apr 25 513.47 net tons.
- 1883, Nov 16 Foundered off Eagle Harbor, MI, Lake Superior.
- 1883, Dec 3 Documents surrendered, Chicago.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Lytle List
- Julius Wolff
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Ed Middleton
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments D
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 19:42:05
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio