- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 500 passengers
History and Notes
- 1882, Apr 22 Launched; ran Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, Michigan to Chicago, IL with PURITAN, 1887.
- 1888, Jun Carried 14,000 cases strawberries; largest ever.
- 1889, Jul 7 Chicago to St. Joseph, 4 hrs 45 minutes.
- 1890, Mar 26 Owned John Marrow et al, Cleveland, OH; ran Detroit - Cleveland - Buffalo in freight trade.
- 1892, Apr 19 Owned St. Joseph and Lake Michigan Transportation Co.; ran Benton Harbor - St. Joseph - Milwaukee, WI.
- 1892, May 21 Disabled; repaired Milwaukee.
- 1893 Ran Chicago to Bay City, MI.
- 1893, Jul Grounded near can bouy.
- 1893, Dec Ran Cleveland to Chicago, IL; large repairs.
- 1895, May 1 Owned Manistee Transit Co., ran Cleveland to Gladstone route.
- 1895, Dec Ran Milwaukee to Chicago route.
- 1896, Oct 17 Machinery disabled.
- 1897, Apr 15 Rebuilt and reengined Milwaukee, WI; 198 X 32 X 18.6', 859 gross / 608 net tons; ran Manistee to Frankfort, MI.
- 1898 Rebuilt Milwaukee, 202 X 32 X 21.9', 843 gross/ 485 net tons; ran to Mackinaw Island.
- 1901, Mar 23 Owned Chicago and Muskegon Transportation Co.
- 1903 500hp, 15.5 + 40 X 30" steeple compound engine by F.W. Wheeler, Bay City; 1 scotch boiler 11 X 12'; ran Detroit, MI to Cleveland, OH.
- 1905, Apr Repaired Milwaukee, WI.
- 1905, May 11 Renamed MANISTEE; owned Nessen Transportation Co., Manistee, MI; ran Milwaukee to Ludington, MI.
- 1905, Oct Collision with Milwaukee bridge abutment.
- 1909 Chartered for season by Crosby Transportation Co.
- 1910, Aug 1 Owned Chicago, Racine and Milwaukee Line.
- 1914 Reboilered and repainted, Ferrysburg, MI.
- 1914, Jun 28 Burned Ferrysburg, MI.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- National Archives
- John O. Greenwood
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Ed Middleton
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 18:48:27
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio