- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- 1876, May 23 Owned Northern Transportation Co., Rockport, OH.
- 1877, Sep 15 Ashore 40 Mile Point, Lake Huron; released by tug LEVIATHAN.
- 1879, Apr 22 Owned Northern Transit Co., Glen Haven, MI.
- 1881, Feb 10 Cut by ice; forced to discharge cargo at Detour leaving people at Sault short of supplies.
- 1883, May 9 Owned Simeon S. Burke, et al, Glen Haven.
- 1883, Nov On Lake Michigan, fire near smokestack; crew cut away burning wood, put out fire; reached Harbor Springs, passengers sent on by rail.
- 1890, Jul 2 Collision with pleasure steamer CYCLONE Cleveland, OH.
- 1892, May 19 Owned Northern Michigan Transportation Co., Chicago, IL.
- 1894, Apr 12 Owned S.S. Burke, et al, Chicago.
- 1899, Mar 20 Owned People's Transit Co., Chicago.
- 1902, Apr 26 Rebuilt Manitowoc; 169.4' x 26.5' x 10.3'; 626.76 gross tons; engine steeple compounded 18", 38" x 36"; 475hp by Atlantic Iron Works; new 11' x 21' scotch boiler by Johnston Brothers, Ferrysburg.
- 1902, Apr 29 Renamed FRONTENAC.
- 1905, Apr 14 Owned Henry B. Burger, Manitowoc, WI.
- 1905, May 15 Owned H.C. Burrel, Lorain, OH.
- 1908, Jul 17 Burned Lorain; upper works destroyed.
- 1908, Jul 18 Enrollment surrendered, Cleveland, OH.
- 1909, Jul 10 Rebuilt; re-enrolled as screw steamer; 1 deck, 1 mast; 169.4' x 26.5' x 10.3'; 420.19 gross tons; owned H.N. Jex, et al, Toledo.
- 1910, Mar 10 Renamed H.N. JEX.
- 1910, May 24 Ashore in fog Thunder Bay Island, Lake Huron; released.
- 1910, Jun 21 Owned Theobald Emig, et al, St. Clair, MI.
- 1915, Apr 14 Enrollment surrendered Port Huron; sold to aliens, J.F. Sowards, Kingston, ONT.
- 1921, Aug 16 Foundered Lake Ontario.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- F.E. Hamilton
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Ed Middleton
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-22 18:05:55
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio