- Original Owner
- United States Revenue Cutter Service
- Tonnage Old Style
History and Notes
- Similar to JOHN A . DIX; WILLIAM PITT FESSENDEN; & JOHN SHERMAN; last sidewheel revenue cutter on the lakes.
- 1869 In ordinary Milwaukee.
- 1870 Stationed Milwaukee, WI; covered Lake Michigan & Lake Superior.
- 1873, Jul Repaired Milwaukee, WI.
- 1874, Jul Stationed Chicago, IL.
- 1881 Rebuilt Hanson & Scove, Manitowoc, WI; new boiler 36 x 9'; 310 gross/195 net tons.
- 1881, Sep Recovered bodies from wrecked steamer COLUMBIA.
- 1883 Rescued schooner N.D. MOORE & steambarge J.E. RUMBELL.
- 1890, Jul 15 Located wreck of schooner GLADIATOR near Chicago.
- 1891, Jan Sailed 130,000 miles.
- 1893 Overhauled Milwaukee Dry Dock.
- 1895, May 13 Ashore in storm below Black River near Alpena, MI.
- 1896, Aug 3 Opened new 1800' Soo Lock; stationed St. Mary's River.
- 1897 Owned Cleveland Naval Reserve.
- 1898 Dismantled; machinery to FLORA.
- 1899 Owned McMorran Wrecking Co.
- 1901, Sep Sunk at dock; raised by wrecker GROH; hull used as dry dock Amherstburg, ONT.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Telescope, Great Lakes Maritime Institute
- Newspaper Clippings
- Inland Seas, Great Lakes Historical Society
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 18:29:50
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio