- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- 1878 Built for Duluth, MN, grain trade.
- 1882 Towed LEM ELLSWORTH, SAN DIEGO, SL WATSON, SB POMEROY.
- 1885-1907 Towed ALTA & hauled ore, coal.
- 1885 Iron straps & bands at frame head, double decked, new boiler. Tonnage change to 775.95 gross/564.71 net.
- 1887 Towed GEO SHERMAN.
- 1888, Apr 19 Owned Bewick Transportation Co., Hamtramck, MI.
- 1891, Jul 24 Owned Jerome B. Zerbe, Cleveland, OH. Reduced to a steambarge.
- 1892, Apr 15 Owned Ohio & Pennsylvania Coal Co., Cleveland OH.
- 1894 Wintered Sault Ste. Marie, MI due to unsafe condition of ship.
- 1900, Apr 16 Owned Alta Transportation Co., Mentor, OH.
- 1904, Apr 23 Owned August Jean & John J.Boland, Buffalo, NY; changed tonnage to 952 gross/666 net, depth 15.5'.
- 1905, May 5 Owned Mary E. Jean et al, Buffalo, NY.
- 1905 Buffalo, NY, Tonawando harbor, struck obstruction, tearing away wheel, rudder, and forcing a hole in hull near stern. Sunk in 18" water with 700,000 feet lumber.
- 1906 Fined for carrying passengers. Struck obstruction, Tonawanda harbor, Niagara River, broke several buckets off wheel; cargo lumber. Dry docked for new wheel.
- 1906, Oct 13 Owned George B. Taylor, Erie, PN.
- 1907-1911 Towed MARENGO and ED. KELLEY.
- 1911, May 6 Owned Gorton-Pew Fisheries Co., Gloucester,MA. Taken to Atlantic coast.
- 1912, Jun Fitted for cold storage. Change tonnage 1,191.54 gross/868.46 net tons, one deck, two masts. Cost approx. $250,000; 196'x 37.4'x 26',500 hp engine, steaming 8 knots/hr. Hold capacity of 1,500,000 lbs. frozen herring.
- 1912 Sep 9 Two decks.
- 1913, Nov 5 Burned to water's edge, abandoned at Woods Island, Newfoundland. Documents surrendered.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- AE. Young
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 12:09:59
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio