- Engine Number Propellers
- 118' 4.5"
- 25' 3.5"
- 9' 6.5"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 261 2/95
- Final Location
- St. Mary's River near Sault Ste. Marie.
- Lake Superior.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Boiler explosion, sank.
- Final Notes
- 1854 Dismantled.
- 1933 Dredging operations brought up 2 propellers & hull timbers; 1 propeller wheel mounted in park next to MacArthur lock.
History and Notes
- First steamer built on Lake Michigan & first steamer on Lake Superior; at first relied mainly on sails; motor speed only 4mph in calm weather.
- 1843, Sep 4 Enrolled Detroit, MI; owned R.C. Bristol of Bristol & Porter, Chicago, IL.
- 1843, Oct Collision with steamer BUNKER HILL 20 miles south of Milwaukee, WI; cargo 11,000 bushels wheat.
- 1844, Apr 24 Aground off Fort Gratiot, MI.
- 1844 (or 49) Re-engined to improve speed, coal burning, propellers altered.
- 1845, Jun Hauled over portage around St.Mary's River rapids on rollers; took 7 weeks.
- 1846, May 1 Michilimackinac District.
- 1846 Carried freight goods, copper & passengers durning 1946 "copper rush" between Soo & Copper Harbor, MI; carried a 1,750 pound mass of pure copper.
- 1849, May 1 Enrolled Sault Ste. Marie; owned John R. Livingstone et al, Sault Ste Marie, ONT; 2 decks.
- 1850 Chartered to Sheldon McKnight to run Sault Ste. Marie to Ontonagon, MI.
- 1850, Dec 1 Ashore Lake Superior; arrived at Sault Ste Marie Jul 31 1851.
- 1851 Enrolled Mackinaw, MI; ran in S. McKnight Superior Line.
- 1851, Aug 29 Repairs at railway drydock at head of portage.
- 1852, Apr 2 New engine & boiler.
- 1852, Oct 10 (or 7) Ashore Bad River, WI, 5 miles out of Ashland, WI; dredged out Oct. & refitted at LaPointe, WI.
- 1853, Nov 21 Boiler explosion, sank.
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Beesons Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number