- Engine Type
- 268' 8"
- 12' 1"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 926 72/95
- 700,000-800,000' lumber
History and Notes
- 1853, Aug 13 Launched from Oliver Newberry Shipyard; for immigrant trade between Buffalo, NY, Detroit, Milwaukee, WI & Chicago, IL.
- 1854, Mar Owned Sheldon McKnight, owner & editor of Detroit Free Press & backer of Soo Canal.
- 1854, Aug Broke machinery on Lake Huron; towed to Detroit.
- 1854, Sep Ashore on Thunder Bay Island, Lake Huron; jettisoned cargo (including valuable castings intended for Sault Locks; drydock for repairs.
- 1855, Jun 18 First vessel upbound through newly completed Sault Locks & Canal.
- 1856 Engine replaced with beam engine by Allan Works, NY.
- 1857, May Collided with schooner RESOLUTION on St. Clair River.
- 1857, Sep Engine breakdown at Copper Harbor, MI, Lake Superior; towed by CITY OF SUPERIOR to Detroit.
- 1858, Apr 21 Owned S.E. Walbridge, Detroit.
- 1858, Aug Ashore at Copper Harbor, MI; got off.
- 1860, May Struck by schooner GRACE GREENWOOD in tow of REINDEER, Detroit, River.
- 1860, May 29 Owned John T. Whiting (trustee), Detroit.
- 1860, Jan 9 Measurement error corrected; 267'6" x 29' x 11'6", 877 60/95 tons.
- 1860, Nov Struck rock & ashore Eagle Harbor, MI, Lake Superior.
- 1863 Converted to steambarge at Stupinsky yard, Detroit, MI.
- 1863, Apr 25 Owned Lucius McKnight et al, Detroit.
- 1864, Jul Struck reef off Eagle Harbor & sank; recovered a week later.
- 1866, May 10 Owned M.B. Kean et al, Detroit; steamer; 2 decks, plain head, 269.4' x 29.2' x 12.51', 925.44 tons, new engines & rebuilt.
- 1868, Jun 17 Enrolled Port Huron, MI; owned P.E. Kean et al, Marine City, MI; barge; 1 deck, 269.2 x 26.1' x 12.5', 608.67 tons.
- 1869, Nov Broke in two & sank.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Milwaukee Public Library
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- 1868 Shipping Agreement
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 16:51:45