- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 2,600 tons coal
- Final Location
- Near Grand Island, MI
- Lake Superior
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Bound Marquette, MI for Detroit, MI, had been leaking for 3 weeks. 3 a.m. the pump failed, fires were drowned out, Capt. Richardson reluctantly ordered her abandoned.
History and Notes
- 1884 Towed SUR WATSON.
- 1885 Towed DAVID VANCE, Duluth, MN, grain trade.
- 1886, Sep 3 Aground, Sault Ste. Marie, MI.
- 1886, Sep 10 Owned Thomas Fitzpatrick et al, Mentor Lake County, OH.
- 1886, Oct Towed POLYNESIA.
- 1886, Nov 10 Grounded heavily at upper entrance, Lake George Flats.
- 1889, Jul & Aug May have towed SEA GULL & MINNIE SLAVSON.
- 1890's Often towed barge JOHN C. FITZPATRICK.
- 1890, Mar 24 Owned Thomas Fitzpatrick, Mentor, OH & J. B. Hall & Co., Cleveland, OH.
- 1891, Apr 4 Owned, Mentor Steamship Co., Fairport, OH.
- 1891, Aug Towed PORTER.
- 1893, Mar 31 Same owner, Mentor.
- 1894, Nov 3 Damaged in gale near Conneaut, OH, Lake Erie.
- 1898, May 18 Collided with steamer PROGRESS, Harsens Island, MI; two planks stove.
- 1898, Aug 21 Aground, St. Helena (?) shoals.
- 1904, Nov 14 while lying at ore dock, Escanaba,MI was filled & sank in 22' water; abandoned.
- 1906, Sep 18 Owned John B. Hall et al, Buffalo, NY.
- 1907, Jan 30 Owned Steamer Hope Transit Co., Buffalo; managing owner Patrick Culligan, Alpena, MI.
- 1907, Apr 23 Same owner, East Aurora, NY; rebuilt, 1,748 gross/1,464 net tons.
- 1910, Oct 17 Owned Elllis H. Eidley, Buffalo.
- 1911, Apr 26 Owned John J. Boland, Buffalo.
- 1912 Towed ATHENA.
- 1912, Sep 27 Sunk near Grand Island, Lake Superior.
- 1912, Oct 11 Documents surrendered, Buffalo, "Total loss, foundered".
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Milwaukee Public Library
- Julius Wolff
- Inland Lloyds Marine Directory
- Great Lakes Register
- Gerry Metzler
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 16:21:00
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio