- Tonnage Old Style
- 291 28/95
History and Notes
- 1862, Mar 1 Enrolled at Stonington, CT.
- 1862 Chartered by U.S. Government, for use as a troop and supply ship on Atlantic and Gulf coasts during the Civil War.
- 1865, Jun Discharged from transportaion service.
- 1865, Jul 27 Owned S.W. Jerome, New York, NY.
- 1865-67 Ran between New York and the Gullf coast.
- 1867, Jun 6 Bought by U.S. Lighthouse Service, for use as a tender.
- 1867-76 Operated on all Great Lakes as lighthouse and aid to navigation supply old tender.
- 1876 Completely rebuilt at Gibson and Craig Shipyard, Buffalo; new hull, built of native white oak and tamaracic, engine replaced with vertical condensing, 26 3/4 X 26" stroke, 1339 hp, 75 rpm, 137 X 24' 7" X 16' 2", 316 gross tons; it appears that the original hull and engine were renamed by Gibson & Craig as, Dover US6905 and used in trade between Port Dover and Erie, PA in connection with the Philadelphia and Erie R.R., but little is known of this vessel.
- 1876-1926 Continued in service as a tender for Lighthouse Service, sold as not serviceable in 1906.
- 1907 Owned Jacob Ullman, Buffalo, enrolled as a merchant steamer, official number US11459.
- 1911 Reportedly out of service, dismantled.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Richard J. Wright, Bowling Green State University
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- National Archives
- Marine Review
- Lytle List
- Lighthouse Dept.
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- H.C. Inches
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Me
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 15:33:46
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio