- Engine Type
- High Pressure (including HPNC)
- 137' 4"
- 24' 10"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 351 73/95
History and Notes
- 1852, Sep 1 Enrolled Cleveland, OH; ran Ogdensburg, NY to ports all over upper Lakes in Freight trade.
- 1853, Dec 17 Struck pier at Cleveland harbor in heavy weather with 100 barrels salt; released 2 days later.
- 1853, Dec Ran Cleveland - Buffalo, NY; aground, Cleveland.
- 1854 351.73 tons.
- 1855, Oct 23 Owned Northern Transportation Co., George A. Eddy, Director; ran Cleveland, OH - Ogdensburg, NY.
- 1861 Strengthened.
- 1861, Jun Broke machinery, Mackinaw.
- 1862, Jul Damaged in collision with schooner AUSTRALIA, Welland Canal.
- 1863 Lake Michigan Line.
- 1864, May 20 Readmeasured 136.2 x 24 x 10', 428.82 gross tons; US10815.
- 1866, Mar Rebuilt Detroit; Lake Erie Line.
- 1867, Aug Collision, Lake Erie, with schooner.
- 1868 428.82 gross tons.
- 1869, Jul Collision with bark THERMUTIS, Welland Canal.
- 1869, Nov Ashore Stave Island near Kelley's Island; filled & sank; raised & repaired, Clark's Dry Dock, Detroit, MI.
- 1872, May Collision with scow FANNIE, Put in Bay.
- 1876, Mar 10 Owned Philo Chamberlain, Cleveland.
- 1876, Mar 23 Owned Northern Transit Co., Rockport, OH.
- 1877 Ran Chicago & Milwauklee - Lake Ontario.
- 1879 Same owner, Glen Haven, MI.
- 1880 Chartered by traveling circus on Lake Michigan.
- 1881, Aug 5 Owned William A. Russell, Chicago, IL; passenger accomodations removed; ran Chicago - northern Canadian lumber ports.
- 1881, Oct 3 Wrecked, Lake Michigan.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- F.C. St. Clair, Great Lakes Historical Society
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 14:16:32
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio