- Engine Type
- Side Lever
- 34' 10"
- 14' 6"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 1233 26/95
- 6000 barrels
History and Notes
- 1848 Laid down as ODDFELLOW, launched GLOBE.
- 1848, Jun 21 Enrolled Detroit; ran Buffalo, NY - Chicago, IL.
- 1849, Mar 12 Damaged in freshet, Chicago; repaired.
- 1849, Apr 30 Broke machinery, Euclid Creek, Lake Erie.
- 1850, May 10 Owned Joshua Maxwell, Buffalo.
- 1850, Jul Burned on Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron; fire extinguished.
- 1851 Overhauled.
- 1852 Torn from mooring in flooding with ILLINOIS & BUFFALO.
- 1852, May Carried 300 - 400 passengers, 3000 barrels flour, pork & beef.
- 1853 Owned Joshua Maxwell & Amos Pratt, Buffalo, NY.
- 1853, May 11 Slightly damaged by fire, Detroit River.
- 1853, Aug 7 Struck by lightning, Lake Huron.
- 1854, Nov 14 Slightly damaged in collision with vessel at Buffalo.
- 1855, Jan 13 Aground Milwaukee, WI with LOUISIANA.
- 1856, Jun 20 Altered from steamboat to propeller by C.A. Van Slyke, Buffalo; capacity 300,000 bushels corn, 1200 tons freight; ran Milwaukee - Buffalo in 81 hours; two oscillating engines, two boilers, cast iron Philadelphia propeller; owned Maxwell & Co.
- 1856, Sep Damaged in collision with dock, Detroit.
- 1856, Sep Collision with schooner A.J. RICH, Detroit River.
- 1856, Oct Struck pier, Milwaukee.
- 1858, Mar 9 Capsized, Detroit River, 100 cattle lost.
- 1859, May 14 Owned Robert M. Scanlin & Amos Pratt.
- 1859, May 6 Owned Albert Helmer, Lockport, NY.
- 1860, Oct 12 Lost anchor & chain, Point aux Barques, Lake Huron.
- 1860, Nov 6 Boiler exploded Hales Dock, Chicago; 16 lives lost.
- 1861, Mar Machinery raised.
- 1861, Apr Hull raised; reduced to mud scow, Miller's & Hood's Dry Dock.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- Inland Seas, Great Lakes Historical Society
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Emerson H. Knack
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments Database
- C. Pat
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 13:38:25
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio