- Original Owner
- Joshua Maxwell et al
- Ownership Notes
- Spencer, Moore & W.B. Dix.
- 143' 10"
- 9' 7"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 313 34/95
History and Notes
- 1846, Apr 1 Launched.
- 1847, Jan 1 Enrolled Maumee, OH; ran Maumee - Buffalo, NY.
- 1847, Jul Broke wheel near Cleveland, OH.
- 1849, Aug Overhauled, Detroit.
- 1849, Oct 26 Sank off Pt. Abino, Lake Erie.
- 1849, Nov 2 Raised; towed by CLEVELAND & MANHATTAN to Buffalo.
- 1850, Feb Owned Horace Mott, Cleveland; ran Buffalo - Chicago, IL.
- 1850, Jul 3 Burned, Saginaw Bay; scuttled to extinguish fire.
- 1852, Nov 12 Scuttled Dunkirk in gale, bound for Cleveland.
- 1853, Mar Repaired.
- 1853, Apr 10 Owned Sheldon McNight, Detroit; weekly trips to Soo hauling copper & iron ore.
- 1853, Jul Boiler from MONTECELLO.
- 1855 Ran Dunkirk & Toledo line with EMPIRE & GOLDEN GATE.
- 1856 Fitted as passenger railroad ferry, ran Buffalo - Chicago on People's Line.
- 1858, Jul Collision with HUGH BARCLAY offf Manitou Islands.
- 1858, Oct Collision with brig CANOPUS, Buffalo harbor.
- 1859, May 11 Owned George B. Russell, Detroit.
- 1860, Jun 4 Collision with schooner ACONTLAS off Bar Point.
- 1860, Oct Damaged in Lake Michigan gale.
- 1861, Mar Sunk, Chicago.
- 1861, Jun 30 Owned John P. Ward, Detroit.
- 1862, Apr 24 Owned John C. Williams, Vicksburg, MI; ferried horses on Detroit River during Civil War.
- 1863, Aug 12 Ran Saginaw - Buffalo; burned to waterline, Saginaw Bay near Charity Island, Lake Huron.
- 1867, May 29 Owned Dennison & Dizell, Bay City, MI.
- 1868, Jul 1 Owned Wilfred S. Campbell & C. H. Lane, East Saginaw; rebuilt E. Saginaw by W.S. Campbell as barge, 1 deck, no masts, 141.7 x 24 x 8', 208.28 gross / 196.43 net tons; towed by Ballentine, Crawford & Co.
- 1869 Rebuilt; owned Sempleton, Saginaw.
- 1870, Mar 3 Owned Charles P. Lane, Levi W. Simpson & James Tolfree, East Saginaw.
- 1873, Oct 22 Went to pieces off Pt. Pelee with DAVID MORRIS & SAGINAW.
- 1874, Apr 17 Cleveland District, same owners.
- 1874, Apr Aground Put in Bay.
- 1875 Abandoned.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Richard J. Wright, Bowling Green State University
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- List of Merchant Vessels of the United States
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- G.P. Bugbee
- Erik Heyl, Early America
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 13:35:50
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio