- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Old Style
- 609 56/95
- Final Location
- 7 miles west Dunkirk, NY.
- Lake Erie.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Grounded in storm but lightly damaged; wrecked in another storm before purchased by Captain Reid, Bay City. His salvage efforts were unsuccessful & finally abandoned September 1892.
- 1895, Apr 6 Burned by arsonists.
History and Notes
- 1862, Apr 17 Launched; in grain trade.
- 1862, Apr 28 Enrolled Cleveland, OH.
- 1865 Large repairs; 451 gross tons, 429.37 net tons; rig changed to schooner, 161 x 30.42 x 12.6.
- 1866 Owned Wiley M. Egan et. al., Chicago, IL; grain trade Chicago - Lake Erie ports.
- 1866, Aug Lost spars, Lake Michigan.
- 1866, Oct Lost anchor, Lake St. Clair.
- 1866, Nov Lost foretopmast, Lake Michigan.
- 1867, Jul Damaged in Lake Erie storm.
- 1868 451.96 gross tons, US10197.
- 1868, Oct 23 Damaged in Lake Michigan storm.
- 1869, May Large repairs by Fitzgerald & Leighton.
- 1869, Jun Aground Chicago.
- 1869, Aug 5 Collision with schooner MEDITERRANEAN, Chicago River; aground this month, Pointe au Barques, Lake Huron.
- 1869, Nov 3 Stranded Hog Island reef; repaired Doville & Bates.
- 1871, Aug Aground Port Austin reef, Lake Huron.
- 1877, Oct Rebuilt as schooner; one of fastest sailing vessels on Lakes.
- 1878 - 1883 Ran Buffalo, NY - Chicago in grain trade.
- 1883, Jun Collision with schooner barge CHICAGO BOARD OF TRADE on Saint Clair River off Algonac, MI.
- 1887, Spring Owned John J. Duffy & James Rourke; rebuilt.
- 1887 Wrecked Erie, PA.
- 1889, Apr Owned E.K. Porter, John Doville et. al, Cleveland.
- 1889, May 27 Grounded Lake Saint Clair; repaired.
- 1889, Nov 4 Coal laden, bound Cleveland - Milwaukee, repaired; canvas loss Manitowoc, WI.
- 1890, May 27 Ashore Lake George, lost tow of steamer PICKANDS; released by latter.
- 1890, Oct 14 Wrecked, Lake Erie.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Telescope, Great Lakes Maritime Institute
- Newspaper Clippings
- List of Merchant Vessels of the United States
- Jack Messmer
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- Detroit & St. Clair River Towing Association, c.1867
- David Sway
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 13:22:11
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio