- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- Final Location
- Thunder Bay off B. Island in Welcome group. Lake Superior.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Stripped & scuttled.
- 1979 Wreck discovered by scuba divers; habited by large number of ling; peetration below deck possible with lights.
History and Notes
- 1887 Oct 1 Launched.
- 1887 Oct 6 Enrolled Port Huron; built for ore & coal trade; cost $125,000; US85977.
- 1893, Jul 20 Fire damage at St. Paul & Western Dock, Connors Point.
- 1894 Towed barge BIWABIK.
- 1897 Rebuilt & lengthened to 277.2' probably Bay City, MI; 2,320 ton capacity.
- 1897, Nov 25 Stranded on rocks North Manitou Island.
- 1897, Dec 3 Released by wrecking tug FAVORITE; repaired Milwaukee.
- 1902 Owned F.T. Bentley, Chicago, IL.
- 1904 May 18 Owned Mills Transportation Company; Henry McMoran, agent,
- Port Huron, MI; towed barge CHECOTAH; 1296 HP.
- 1910, Apr 13 Owned Harris W. Baker, Detroit, MI.
- 1911, May 4 Owned H.W. Baker & Richard Pipkorn, Alpena, MI.
- 1914, Mar 20 Owned Richard Pipkorn, Alpena & Helen McDougall, Detroit.
- 1917, Apr 25 Owned William Spencer, Erie, PA.
- 1917, May 29 Owned Henry E.Fish, Masonic Temple, Erie, PA.
- 1918, Feb 4 Owned Central Steam Ship Company, Duluth, MN.
- 1919, Jun 13 Stranded & heavily damaged Dead Man's Rock, Lake Superior (also reported as Flatland Island, ONT); salvaged by Whalen Interests, Port Arthur, ONT & claimed for salvage bill.
- 1920 Owned James Whalen, Canadian Towing & Wrecking, Fort William, ONT C138863.
- 1923 Owned Dominion Towing & Salvage; cut down to barge; renamed GREEN
- RIVER; 275 x 40 x 22', 1750 gross tons, 1681 net tons.
- 1930 Owned Sincennes-MacNaughton (Sin-Mac), Montreal, QUE.
- 1931 Stripped, scuttled Thunder Bay.
- Thomas Holden
- Newspaper Clippings
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- C. Patrick Labadie
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- American Bureau of Shipping
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 13:18:58
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio