- Tonnage Gross
History and Notes
- 1883, Sep 10 Sailed from Glasgow for Montreal with coal. Cut in half to pass Welland Canal, rejoined at Buffalo, NY. No cabins. Makeshift pilot house. These were added at Port Colborne. Steam steering, electric lights.
- 1883 Involved in 5 collisions. Ran Owen Sound to Port Arthur, ONT.
- 1884 Collision, sunk propeller PACIFIC, cargo lumber, St. Mary's Rivers.
- 1884 Collision CAMPANA near Sault Ste. Marie. Called "terror of the lakes" Duluth Tribune. "20th collision of season" Chicago Tribune.
- 1884, Jul 27 Collision, sunk JOHN M. OSBORN, Lake Superior 3.5 miles from Whitefish Pt., 1-5 lives lost.
- 1892 Struck ice floe, lost 3 wheel flanges, lost 1 life.
- 1893 Rescued crew of SERVIA after it burned, Lake Superior.
- 1893 Slight storm damage.
- 1895 Windsor to Lakehead summer season route.
- 1897, Feb/Mar Bow rebuilt, turtleback forecastle, raised, pilothouse added.
- 1910 Sent to Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Lengthened 309'.7"; 2829 gross /2377 net tons.
- 1912 Owen Sound to Port McNicoll route.
- 1913 At Western Dry Dock and Shipping Co. Ltd, Port Arthur. New compound engine 30, 64 & 48". Two new Scotch boilers 14'x11'.
- 1915 New smoking rooms added.
- 1916 In freight service.
- 1939-1943 Packaged freight, bagged flour and feed. Port McNicoll to Milwaukee & Chicago route.
- 1944 Laid up, Port McNicoll, 60 years old.
- 1946 Owned American Machine Co., Jacksonville, FL. Towed to Chicago, funnel & spars stripped.
- 1947 Towed to Indiana Harbor & scrapped.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Scanner, Toronto Marine Historical Society
- Newspaper Clippings
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Door County Historical Museum, Sturgeon Bay
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 12:06:36
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio