- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- 1,300 tons
- Final Location
- Bears Rump Island, near Tobermory, ONT, Georgian Bay.
- Lake Huron.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final Notes
- Run into rocky island in dense fog; crew rescued by tug JOE MILTON.
- 1970 Lies in 10-22 fathoms east end of Bear's Rump Island.
History and Notes
- 1870, May 7 Launched.
- 1870, May 16 Enrolled Detroit, MI; designated as consort to bulk freight steamer R. J. HACKET; initiated system of towing consorts on the Lakes.
- 1870, Jun 15 Carried 1,224 tons iron ore; largest cargo to leave Escanaba, MI.
- 1871 Towed by COLIN CAMPBELL.
- 1871, Oct Grounded St. Clair flats.
- 1872, May 10 Made a screw steamer; 22 + 40 x 36"; 550hp @ 85rpm steeple compound engine by Cuyahoga Furnace Co., Cleveland, OH (1870); 2 firebox boilers 7' 3" x 17' @ 80# steam (1872); paired for years with barge BRUNETTE.
- 1872, Nov Grounded at flats, laden with iron ore from Escanaba, MI.
- 1873, Sep Collision with Rush Street Bridge, Chicago, IL.
- 1876 Ran Milwaukee, WI - Grand Haven, MI, wheat & flour.
- 1877 Lost rudder off Thunder Bay; repaired Alpena, MI.
- 1879, Apr 23 Repaired.
- 1881, Mar Chartered by North Chicago Rolling Mill Co. with consort H. H. BROWN carried iron ore Escanaba - S. Chicago, IL.
- 1881, Apr 23 Rebuilt; 2 decks, 3 masts; 213.7 x 33.5 x 21.3'; 1,236.29 gross / 1,070 net tons.
- 1883, Nov 15 Aground St. Mary's River; released.
- 1885 216.7 x 32.5 x 13.8; 993.60 net tons.
- 1892, Sep 15 Owned Vulcan Transportation Co., Detroit, MI; towed WILLIAM MCGREGOR.
- 1899 213 x 33'6" x 22'; 1,236 gross tons.
- 1904, Jun 5 Wrecked Lake Huron, Georgian Bay.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Pat Folkes
- Newspaper Clippings
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- G.P. Bugbee
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archi
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 11:27:21
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio