- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- 1600 tons
History and Notes
- 1871, Jul 8 Enrolled Cleveland, OH for iron ore trade; cost $80,000; towed D.P. RHODES for years.
- 1871 Eight round trips Marquette, MI.
- 1874, Jun Aground St. Clair Flats.
- 1875 Ashore above Texas Landing.
- 1876, May 12 Rebuilt; 2 decks, 1220.95 gross / 1110.27 net tons; renamed J.S. FAY.
- 1881, May Collision with & sunk steam barge ONTONAGAN.
- 1883 Major repair.
- 1885, Sep Ashore North Point, Thunder Bay, Lake Huron.
- 1886, May Grounded Lime Kiln Crossing.
- 1886 Damaged by fire.
- 1887 24 & 44 x 30" steeple compound engine, 575hp @ 84rpm by Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, OH (1887); one 14' x 12'6" scotch boiler @ 120# steam by Cleveland Ship Building Co.,(1893).
- 1887, Sep 26 Aground at Toledo, Lake Erie; released by ANDREWS.
- 1890 renamed JOSEPH S. FAY.
- 1895, Sep Grounded Starve Island Reef near Toledo, OH.
- 1896, Dec Grounded Scott's Point Near Cheboygan, MI.
- 1905, Oct 19 Wrecked, Lake Huron.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Soo Annual Report
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- Newspaper Clippings
- Inspection Certificate
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 10:47:06
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio