- Engine Type
- 11' 6"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 620 65/95
History and Notes
- 1857, May 12 Enrolled Buffalo, NY; duplicate of ECLIPSE, EQUATOR & SUN; ran Sandusky Line.
- 1860 On Buffalo, Cleveland, Sandusky & Toledo Line.
- 1863 Lake Erie & Green Bay Line.
- 1864 Buffalo & Toledo Line; then Chicago, Milwaukee & Buffalo.
- 1866 Owned Buffalo & Toledo Transportation Co., Buffalo, NY; two round trips Buffalo, NY - Marquette, MI & Portage Lake.
- 1866, Aug Aground Mud Lake.
- 1866, Sep Damaged in collision with schooner DARIEN at Cleveland.
- 1867, May Owned Union Steamboat Co.; ran Buffalo, NY - Chicago, IL; often paired with schooner GUIDING STAR.
- 1869, May 7 Owned Stephen D. Caldwell, Buffalo; Union Steamboat Co.; 870.51 gross tons.
- 1869, May 18 Collision with propeller TONAWANDA off Point au Pelee.
- 1870 Ran Toledo, OH - Saginaw, MI.
- 1870, Oct 28 Bound down from Saginaw, sank in collision with bark LAFRINIER in St. Clair River; cargo 3,500 pounds salt, 1,500,000 shingles.
- 1870, Oct 31 Raised, dry dock Detroit.
- 1871 870 gross tons.
- 1872, Apr 19 Owned Dwight D. Scott, Cleveland, OH; 875.51 tons.
- 1872 9 round trips to Lake Superior.
- 1872, Oct 10 Grounded South Manitou; pulled off by CITY OF FREMONT.
- 1873 Rebuilt 184 x 30.8 x 10.7.
- 1875 Chartered for season by Grand Truck Railway; ran Chicago, IL - Sarnia, ONT.
- 1875, Sep 10 Foundered & sank, Lake Michigan.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Soo Annual Report
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Ba
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 10:16:59
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio