- Propulsion Type
- 298' 11'
- 14' 5"
- Tonnage Old Style
- 1553 70/95
- 7000 barrels freight; 1900 passengers
History and Notes
- Sisters: MICHIGAN SOUTHERN & NORTHERN INDIANA.
- Building was begun 1846 by Capt. Walker at St. Clair, MI to build largest steamboat on inland waters to be named EXCELSIOR; renamed SHAKESPHERE during building; sold before completion to Hazard who officially named her EMPIRE STATE.
- 1845, May 19 Received machinery at Buffalo, NY.
- 1848 Runs 16 mph at 13 revolutions.
- 1848, Oct 10 Enrolled Buffalo.
- 1849, Aug 8 Beached in gale 3 mi. south Sleeping Bear, Lake Michigan; towed to Detroit for repairs.
- 1849, Jun 30 Owned Marshall French et al, Norwalk, CT.
- 1849, Jun Ran Buffalo, NY - Milwaukee, WI; 66.5 hrs; fastest time on the Lakes.
- 1851, May 9 Collision with brig MAYFLOWER.
- 1851, Feb 15 Owned Thomas Hefford et al, Buffalo; ran Cleveland, OH to Buffalo, NY; lengthened at Buffalo to 314.11'.
- 1851, Sep 16 Lost tow of barges with circus on board.
- 1851, Sep 23 Collision with schooner JANE LOUISA off Buffalo.
- 1851, Nov 3 Ran into pier; sank Chicago, IL.
- 1852, Mar 26 Owned Morris Hazard, et al, Buffalo.
- 1852, Mar 26 Owned Michigan Southern Railroad; ran Cleveland - Buffalo.
- 1853 Ran Toledo, OH - Buffalo, NY.
- 1854 169.29 tons.
- 1856 Dismantled Buffalo; engine into WESTERN METROPOLIS; laid up in panic 1857.
- 1858 Hull purchased by C.V. Dixon & J.W. Van Norman, Detroit for use as dock at the Flats.
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- C.E. Feltner Enrollments Database
- C. Patrick Laba
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 10:06:17
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio