- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Old Style
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- Final Location
- 8 mi. NE Charity Islands.
- Lake Huron.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- Owned John Prentice, et al, Saginaw, MI; sank after stern bearings broke loose & shaft dropped; took water faster than could be pumped out.
- 1887 Tugs HARLEY & TEMPEST drag Saginaw Bay for wreck.
- 1896, Aug Tugs ELLA SMITH & SARAH SMITH drag for wreck.
- 1997 Wreck located by divers using side-scan sonar.
History and Notes
- 1862, Sep 17 Launched.
- 1862, Oct 2 Enrolled Buffalo, NY; owned Thomas D. Dole, et al.
- 1863, Oct 8 Collision with bark MONTITOR off Malden.
- 1865 Owned J. Lundy, Cleveland, OH.
- 1871 New decks.
- 1875, Sep 14 Disabled in river, Toronto, ONT.
- 1881 Operated Sault Ste, Marie, MI.
- 1881, Mar Repaired, Cleveland.
- 1885, Jul 24 Grounded in fog; damaged.
- 1886, Sep 3 Reported burned near Charity Islands, Lake Huron.
- 1886, Sep 24 Sank.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- List of Merchant Vessels of the United States
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-21 08:27:18
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio