- Tonnage Old Style
History and Notes
- Sister to ROCKET; cost $40,000
- 1857 Apr launched
- 1857 May 19 Enrolled Buffalo, NY; ran Buffalo, NY to Green Bay, WI connecting with Chicago, IL
- 1859 Upper deck cabins added for passenger accomodations.
- 1860 Owned Central Railway Line, T.D. dole; readmeasured 744.16 gross tons; ran Lake Superior Route, Escanaba to Marquette, MI.
- 1860 October Struck obstruction near Sister Island; later that month dismasted during storm on Lake Erie.
- 1861 Owned Lake Transoportatiion Co., Captain Whetmore, Buffalo, NY.
- 1862 Owned New York Central Railway Line
- 1863 Collision at mouth of River near Stoney Island; sunk and raised; rebuilt Cleveland, OH.
- 1864 March Cylinder head & piston rod broken off Sheboygan, WI.
- 1865 May 19 Owned T.D. Dole, Central Railway Line.
- 1865 May 31 Driven on reef off Port Washington, WI; scuttled 18 feet water; raised; rebuilt Milwaukee, WI.
- 1866 Owned Buffalo & Green Bay Transportation Co., Buffalo, NY
- 1867 March Collision at Toledo, OH; sunk & raised; repaired Detroit.
- 1867 November Owned David M. Kelley; Kelley & Co., Green Bay, WI; ran Fox River Line connecting Buffalo to Green Bay.
- 1868 Owned D.M. Kelly Co., Cleveland, OH; US 5863
- 1869 August 13 Collision with Canadian steamer SILVER SPRAY off Port Huron; slight damage.
- 1869 October 25 Collision with propeller HUNTER near Fighting Island 8 miles below Detroit, MI on Detroit River; both sunk due to signal confusion; cargo of 15,000 bushels wheat, 1,630 barrels flour, 750 sacks feed; both repaired.
- 1871 Owned Land & River Transportation Co., Green Bay, WI
- 1871 August 19 Collision with scow MARIA in St Clair River near St Clair, MI
- 1873 June Owned Hanna & Co., Cleveland, OH for iron ore trade; ran Cleveland to Marquette in Lake Superior trade.
- 1873-1874 winter Rebuilt; 11 round trips to Lake Superior in 1874.
- 1875 Owned Hart & Co.
- 1875 August 26 Sunk in collision with MANITOBA Lake Superior.
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Gerry Metzler
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 22:16:48