- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 1900 tons, 63000 bushels
History and Notes
- 1872, Jun 15 Launched; sisters JAVA, RUSSIA, ARABIA, SCOTIA; ran Buffalo, NY - Duluth, MN & Chicago, IL.
- 1872, Jun 15 Hard aground St. Clair Flats; released by tug STRANGER.
- 1877 Ran wild.
- 1882 Collision with Schooner B.F. BRUCE.
- 1883, Aug 7 Two firebox boilers 8'6" x 15', 100# steam.
- 1884, Mar 29 Owned John Donaldson, Buffalo, NY; operated by red Star Line; towed DONALDSON & STEWART in grain trade Duluth - Buffalo.
- 1886 Went aground 8 miles from Buffalo; repaired.
- 1887 Aground Nebish Rapids, Sault River; released.
- 1889 Sank tanker ABERCORN in collision at Marine City, MI.
- 1890, May Chartered by W.L. Bottsford for 30 days; ran Port Huron, MI - Duluth with wheat.
- 1890, Jun 17 Collision with steamer KATE BUTTIRONI off Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron, in fog.
- 1890, Jul 13 Repaired, Port Huron.
- 1890, Sep 23 Aground Black River Reef, 300 bushels grain jettisoned.
- 1891, May Operating on Lackawanna Line, Green Bay, WI - Buffalo.
- 1899, May 24 Damaged by fire, Buffalo.
- 1901 Given staterooms.
- 1906, Aug Owned Northern Navigation Co., C116954, renamed I0NIC; cabins stripped, new boilerhouse, texas & pilothouse, 238'2" x 35'6" x 23'6", 1708 gross / 1030 net tons.
- 1906, Dec Ashore Whitefish Point, Lake Superior; released.
- 1913 Owned Canada Steam Ship Lines, Ltd, Montreal, QUE; ran Montreal - Toronto, ONT.
- 1919, Nov 8 Sank, Williamsburg Canal, St. Lawrence River; salvaged, rebuilt, changed to 1 stack.
- 1920 Renamed MAPLE BRANCH.
- 1926 Laid up.
- 1928 Owned St. Lawrence Tankers, Ltd.; rebuilt as tanker, Montreal, QUE, 231.8' x 35.5' x 12.6', 1014 gross tons.
- 1930 Owned Canadian Import Co., Montreal, QUE.
- 1934 Sank in collision with HMS DRAGON, raised & rebuilt Sorel, QUE by Marine Industries, Ltd. in 1935; given 2 scotch boilers 11'2" x 11'2" built 1891 by Polson Ironworks, Toronto.
- 1946 Retired.
- 1947 Scrapped Sorel, OUE.
- 1952 Machinery removed.
- 1959 Sorel, QUE boneyard.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Scanner, Toronto Marine Historical Society
- Namesakes II
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- American Bureau o
- Unique ID
- Louis Pesha
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio