- Engine Type
- Vertical Beam (Walking Beam)
- Tonnage Old Style
History and Notes
- 1848, Jun 14 Launched.
- 1848, Jul 4 Registered Kingston, ONT; ran Kingston, Hamilton & Toronto.
- 1848, Oct 2 Stranded Galops Rapids.
- 1848, Dec 1 Stranded & badly damaged, Highland Creek near Toronto.
- 1849, Nov 3 Burst boilers approaching Gibraltar Pt., killing 3, injuring 6; large repairs.
- 1849 - 53 Owned John MacPherson et. al., Kingston, ONT following foreclosure proceedings.
- 1850 Ran Through Mail Line, linking Montreal boats with Kingston, ONT; expanded with cabins on deck & new overall promenade deck.
- 1851 Apr 21 Port boiler exploded, destroying upper works; sank; 8 crew killed.
- 1851 May 20 Owned & salvaged by Miller, Montreal, QUE; repaired there; renamed MAYFLOWER.
- 1852 Chartered Great Lakes Western Railway, Canada; ran Toronto - Cape Vincent via north shore ports.
- 1853, Jun 25 Collision with steamer PRINCESS ROYAL near Whitby.
- 1853, Aug 10 Ashore at Scarborough Bluff near Toronto, ONT.
- 1853 Owned Alexander Campbell, Kingston, ONT; renamed COMET.
- 1854, Mar 7 Owned Rome & Watertown Railway; ran Hamilton - Cape Vincent & Ogdensburg, NY.
- 1855 Ran Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal & Quebec.
- 1855, May Repaired at Oswego, NY.
- 1856 Owned Hamilton Hill, Oberlin, OH.
- 1857 - 60 Laid up at Portsmouth in panic of 1857.
- 1860 Sep 3 Owned Thomas Kirkpatrick, Kingston, ONT; passenger & freight service Montreal to head of Lake Ontario.
- 1860 - 61 Rebuilt, 180 x 26 x 10.
- 1861, May 7 Torn from moorings during gale & slammed into Cataraqui Bridge, Kingston, ONT.
- 1861, May 14 Collision with schooner EXCHANGE.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Mills List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 22:12:04
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio