- Tonnage Gross
- 1300 tons or 45000 bushels.
- Final Location
- Red Cliff, WI. ?
- Lake Superior.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Final Notes
- After Oct 30 burning, vessel was raised & towed to Bayfield, WI, then supposedly to Duluth, MN in Dec where engine & boilers were removed (machinery to Chicago).
- 1907, Dec 30 Documents surrendered.
History and Notes
- 1873, Aug Launched; consort RICHARD WINSLOW; for grain & iron ore trade.
- 1874, May Grounded Neebish Rapids, St. Mary's River.
- 1878, Apr 17 Rebuilt, 2 decks & 3 masts; readmeasured 1200 gross / 1040.3 net tons; increased carrying capacity by 5000 bushels.
- 1880s - 90s Also regularly towed CHARLES WALL.
- 1883, Aug Lost mast, Detour, MI, Lake Huron.
- 1884, Jun 5 Disabled machinery, Round Island, St. Mary's River.
- 1886, Aug 30 Grounded in fog with consort RICHARD WINSLOW, Round Island, St. Mary's River.
- 1887, Nov 23 Grounded, Waiska Bay, Lake Superior.
- 1888 Redecked.
- 1889, Sep 7 Stranded on Chickenolee Reef, Pelee Island, Lake Erie; repaired.
- 1890, Nov 31 Burned, Toledo, OH, Lake Erie.
- 1891 Rebuilt; new steel arches.
- 1893, Mar 24 Owned Henry W. Watson, et al, Buffalo, NY.
- 1895, May 10 Owned Richard Winslow, et al, New York City, NY.
- 1896, Apr 22 Owned John L. Crosthwaite, et al, Buffalo.
- 1897, Sep 25 Rebuilt as lumber carrier; 1 deck; readmeasured, 977.1 gross / 817.3 net tons; 24 + 44 x 30", 450hp at 85rpm steeple compound engine; one 12' x 14' scotch boiler; machinery by Globe Iron Works.
- 1898 + Regularly towed ALICE NORRIS.
- 1900, Feb 7 Owned Edward Hines Lumber Co., Chicago.
- 1900, Apr 7 Reduced to 2 masts.
- 1903 Rebuilt at Manitowoc, WI.
- 1903, Nov 25 Grounded Simmons Reef, Lake Michigan.
- 1905, Dec 14 Burned & beached, Grand Island, Niagara River; repaired & new wheel.
- 1907, Oct 30 Burned near Basswood Island, Apostle Islands, Lake Superior.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Walter Lewis
- Soo Annual Report
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Inland Lloyds Marine Directory
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Elmer Engman
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 21:49:01