- Sail Number Masts
- Tonnage Gross
- 60,000 bushels
- Final Location
- 3 miles SW of SE Shoal Light, Pelee Passage.
- Lake Erie.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Foundered in storm.
- Final Notes
- Bound Escanaba, MI - Cleveland, OH, struck bottom, tow line cut from steamer BULGARIA, sank quickly; 8 lost.
- 1905, Oct 23 Documents surrendered at Cleveland.
- 1906, Jul Wrecked, blown up as menace to navigation.
History and Notes
- 1871, Apr Launched.
- 1875 Owned Merrill & Skeele, Chicago, IL.
- 1879 Repaired.
- 1890, Mar 20 Rebuilt as 4 mast schooner-barge; 221 x 35 x 16.4; 979 gross / 930 net tons; renamed TASMANIA; owned Corrigan Bros., Cleveland, OH.
- 1890, Aug Collided with & sank by steamer J. H. WADE, Lake George Flats, St. Mary's River.
- 1890, Sep 30 Raised Moran Wrecking Co; coal removed; towed to Cleveland for repairs.
- 1891, Jul Collided with & damaged by steamer CITY of LONDON in Lake Superior.
- 1894, Oct 11 Driven ashore Cleveland, OH; crew rescued.
- 1905, Oct 20 Foundered.
- Peter J. VanderLinden
- Newspaper Clippings
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Board of Lake Underwriters Marine Directory
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 21:21:30
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio