- Original Owner
- Thomas Clyde
- Ownership Notes
- Clyde SS Co.
- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- First successful compound engine built for a merchant vessel on Delware River.
- 1872 Ran New York - Galveston, TX.
- 1876 Owned Panama Transit SS Co., same route.
- 1878 Owned Pacific Mail SS Co.; service on Atlantic & Gulf of Mexico.
- 1886 Owned Clyde SS Co.; bought to Great Lakes.
- 1923 Lengthened 28 ft.; used for transporting newsprint Little Curren, ONT - Chicago, IL.
- 1926, Mar Capsized in Chicago River & retired with hull damage.
- 1930 +/- Towed to Georgian Bay by steamer MANISTIQUE, abandoned.
- Newspaper Clippings
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio