- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 640,000' lumber
History and Notes
- 1871, Mar 10 Launched.
- 1871, Apr 24 Trial trip.
- 1871, Apr 26 Enrolled Cleveland, OH; owned Chicago, IL; ran Chicago & Milwaukee - Traverse City, MI; cost $85,000; 75 passenger capacity.
- 1871 Had 23 trips to Chicago carrying 12,639,950 feet lumber, 600 bushels grain, 1,040 passengers.
- 1871, May 24 Grand Haven District.
- 1872 Grounded St. Clair flats.
- 1876 1182 gross tons.
- 1877 Triweekly trips Chicago - Traverse City.
- 1882 Stops at Frankfort on Chicago - Traverse City run.
- 1884 Broke down off Racine.
- 1887, May 24 Rebuilt; steel arches, 225 passenger capacity; owned Leopold & Australian, Lake Michigan & Lake Superior Transportation Co., Chicago, IL; cost $65,000; Ran Chicago - Duluth with PEERLESS & JAY GOULD; also ran Chicago - Mackinaw Island, MI.
- 1887, Nov New crank pin.
- 1889 Semiweekly trips to Mackinaw Island; carried lumber Ashland & Washburn - Chicago.
- 1889, Sep Damaged by heavy seas, losing rudder.
- 1891 Biweekly runs Chicago - Duluth, MN.
- 1892, Aug Broke down near Grand Island, Lake Superior; towed Marquette, MI.
- 1893, Jun Aground on Lin Shoal, north side of Bois Blanc Island.
- 1894, Aug 10 Collision with OTEGO at Duluth.
- 1896, Apr 13 Duluth District; same owners.
- 1897 Chartered by Graham & Morton for winter run Chicago - Milwaukee, WI.
- 1897 Superior Transportation Co., ran Chicago - Lake Superior.
- 1898, Feb 26 Stuck in ice at St. Joseph, MI.
- 1898, Apr Chartered to Graham & Morton, Lake Superior Line.
- 1899 New rudder.
- 1901 Bottom calked.
- 1905, Jun 15 Owned Stephen Jones, Chicago gambling syndicate; used as floating poolroom offshore Chicago with wireless to transmit racing returns.
- 1907, Sep 25 Owned Graham & Morton, Chicago.
- 1909, Oct 10 Collision with Wells St. Bridge, Chicago, damaging cabins; reduced to package freighter.
- 1912 Dismantled St Joseph, MI; made floating dry dock.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- History of Great Lakes
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Ed Middleton
- Donald V. Baut
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 20:06:09