- Original Owner
- John Hamilton
- Ownership Notes
- Royal Mail Line.
- Tonnage Gross
History and Notes
- Intended for Passenger, mail & packet service; ran Toronto, Kingston & Prescott.
- 1843 Ran Toronto - Niagra stopping at Queenston & Lewiston.
- 1850 Rebuilt, replacing wooden paddle wheels with iron; on Canadian Mail Line.
- 1853 Lost her tow in a squall outside Oswego, NY.
- 1854 Registered Montreal; 349 tons.
- 1855 Sunk in Hatters Bay Near Kingston, ONT; raised 1858.
- 1858, Nov Ashore at Oswego with cargo wheat.
- 1861 Owned Abbey Brothers, Port Robinson, ONT.
- 1861 Owned Carruthers, Toronto.
- 1862 Received cabins of MISSISSIPPI (1853).
- 1863 Operated Grand Haven & Racine, Lake Michigan.
- 1863 Badly damaged by fire at Niagara; sold to Wards, Detroit, MI; rebuilt by H.G. Garrett, Jones yard; 2 decks, 1 mast, original engines overhauled; new boilers 163 x 22.1 x 11'; 624 tons; renamed RACINE.
- 1864, May 1 Relaunched at Detroit.
- 1864, Fall Owned E.M. Carruthers & Perry, Montreal, QUE; reregistered Canadian; ran Collingwood - Lake Superior on Lake Superior Royal Mail Line; renamed ALGOMA.
- 1866 17 trips to Lake Superior; overhauled or rebuilt Detroit in Sep.
- 1867 Struck rock & grounded off Sandy Island, Lake Superior.
- 1869 Ran weekly Collingwood - Bruce Mines & intermediate ports; 787.56 gross tons; 623 net tons.
- 1870 Overhauled in Detroit; returned to Collingwood.
- 1870 Chartered with CHICORA to ferry Manitoba bound troops to Fort William; Jul, carried 80 tons freight, 40 excursionists & several men of 21st Battalion.
- 1871 14 round trips Collingwood - Fort William.
- 1872 Overhauled & repainted.
- 1873 Owned Francis Smith, Collingwood.
- 1874 Machinery broke 5 miles SE Lonely Island, Georgian Bay.
- 1875 Broke crank of paddle shaft.
- 1877, Aug Dismantled.
- 1877, Winter Foundered Collingwood, Lake Huron; recovered.
- 1881 Collingwood to North Shore ports.
- 1882, May 25 Gone to boneyard near Collingwood.
- 1888 Dismantled Collingwood.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 19:31:41