- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- Designed by Frank E. Kirby, cabin capacity 236 passengers; cost $135,000.
- 1877, Dec 23 Launched Wyandotte, MI.
- 1878, May 11 Enrolled Detroit, MI; ran Detroit - Cleveland opposite NORTHWEST.
- 1880, Dec 1 Stuck in ice near Point au Pelee, Lake Erie.
- 1882, Jul Grounded Ballast Island off Put-in-Bay.
- 1882, Aug 16 Collision with steambarge ARAXES in Detroit River near Bois Blanc.
- 1887, Mar Made a day boat; fitted with feathering wheels.
- 1889 Ran Chicago - St. Joseph, MI for one season.
- 1890 Renamed CITY OF THE STRAITS; excursions between Cleveland, OH & Put-in-Bay.
- 1893 Ran Chicago - Benton Harbor then Lake Huron.
- 1896 Began Cleveland - Toledo run.
- 1899 Rebuilt engines; 62" cylinder by 144" stroke; 900hp vertical beam engine by Fletcher & Co., Hoboken, NY; 12 x 18'6", 2 firebox boilers @ 50# steam; 234 x 35 x 22.9; 1,094 gross / 811 net tons.
- 1901 Received Lakes' first wireless.
- 1905 Chartered by Hackley Transportation Co. to run Muskegon, Grand Haven & Chicago.
- 1914 Owned Baker & Leonard; reduced to a barge at Detroit; 673 tons.
- 1917 Owned C. S. Neff, Milwaukee, WI; renamed LIBERTY; schooner barge; 235 x 36 x 12'4"; 746 gross / 509 net tons.
- 1924 Owned Hayward & Nicholson, Detroit.
- 1925 Rebuilt 746 gross / 709 net tons.
- 1928 Owned William Nicholson; rebuilt at Great Lakes Engine Works as diesel bulk freighter for packaged steel trade; 757 gross / 462 net tons; 6 cylinder diesel engine; 500hp, by Bessemer Gas Engine Co., Grove City, PA (1928); 1 donkey boiler, 4'10" by 3'6", built at Cleveland (1888).
- 1940 Dismantled; made a barge at Rouge River near Detroit.
- 1948 Hull scrapped at Bob Lo Island; engine removed.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- Inland Seas, Great Lakes Historical Society
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 18:25:32