- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- First boat at Wyandotte by Detroit Dry Dock Co. after they bought the yard from Ward estate.
- 1879, Dec 23 Launched sideways; machinery in Jan 1880. Some claim 50" x 11', 1800hp engine was originally from Lake Champlain steamer UNITED STATES (1846) by Dunham & Co., New York, 1847; 2 boilers by Fletcher & Harrison, New York, rebuilt at Detroit for this vessel; wheels feathering Morgan type 23' x 9; fastest boat of its time, 19mph; cabins from ADIRONDACK; built for Mackinac Route; cost $146,000.
- 1880, May 22 Maiden voyage, record time nine miles in 24 minutes 35 seconds.
- 1881 - 82 Chartered to Lake Superior Transit for Detroit to Hancock run; Soo to Detroit 338 miles in 23.5 hours average speed 14.5 mph.
- 1881, Jun Wheels badly damaged by ice on Lake Superior.
- 1881, Sep 4 First boat through new Weitzel lock, Soo Canal.
- 1882 Ran Detroit to Mackinaw, MI; by Oct made 52 round trips.
- 1883 Detroit & Cleveland run.
- 1884 Put on Lake Huron Division, Detroit - Mackinac Island, with intermediate points.
- 1885, Apr 5 Renamed CITY OF ALPENA; ran St. Ignace, MI - Cleveland, OH.
- 1885, Sep 10 Collision with pier at Sand Beach, some damage.
- 1887, May Collision with barge TECUMSEH at Sand Beach; repaired, Detroit Dry Dock Co.
- 1892 Owned Cleveland & Buffalo Transit Co.
- 1893 Renamed STATE of OHIO; ran Cleveland - Buffalo.
- 1895 - 96 Ran Chicago to St. Joseph & Benton Harbor in O'Connor Transportation Co.
- 1897 Accident to Machinery on Lake Erie.
- 1898, May 16 Crashed into dock at Lake Shore bridge, Chicago.
- 1898, Aug Chartered to replace MANITOU on run Chicago - Charlevoix, Harbor Springs & Mackinac Island.
- 1904 Rebuilt.
- 1906, Sep 20 Aground on Rattlesnake Island near Put In Bay; released by FAVORITE Oct 16; towed to Detroit; repaired Toledo, OH.
- 1924, May 20 Burned at Cleveland, OH, Lake Erie; dismantled & made barge.
- 1929, Dec 17 Stranded & sunk at Lorain, OH, harbor.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- U.S. Merchant Vessels
- Marine Directory, R.L. Polk Co., Detroit
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- G.P. Bugbee
- Fred Trelfa
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Ed Middleton
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database|
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 18:03:42