- Original Owner
- Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Co.
- Ownership Notes
- Designed by Frank E.Kirby.
- Launched March 17, 1893.
- Propulsion Type
- 38' 4"
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
History and Notes
- 1897, Jul 21 Ran on reef in Thunder Bay, 1/2 mile from shore; freed by tugs.
- 1912 Named changed to CITY OF ALPENA II.
- 1921 Owned Graham & Morton Transprotation Co., Chicago, IL; renamed CITY OF SAUGATUCK.
- 1924 Owned Goodrich Transit Co.
- 1933 - 35 Idle at dock in Benton Harbor.
- 1934 Owned Michigan Trust Co., Duluth, MN.
- 1935 Owned Captain John Roen, Sturgeon Bay, WI.
- 1938 Owned Roen Steam Ship Co.; rebuilt as pulpwood barge, 241.7' x 38.5' x 13.23', 999 gross tons; renamed LEONA.
- 1945 Owned Northern Paper Mills, Green Bay, WI.
- 1946 Owned Northern Paper Mills of Canada, Hansen, ONT; renamed NORMIL, C176163, towed by NORCO.
- 1955 Owned Marathon Paper Co., Marathon, ONT.
- 1956 - 57 Idle at Sturgeon Bay dock, sold to Green Metal Co.
- 1957 Scrapped, Menominee, MI.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- Great Lakes Ships We Remember
- Great Lakes Register
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 17:54:08
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio