- Original Owner
- J.C. & E.T. Evans "Anchor Line"
- Ownership Notes
- Port of Erie Western Transportation Co.; Sister ships: INDIA, JAPAN.
- Tonnage Gross
- Tonnage Net
- 1285 tons
History and Notes
- 1871, Aug Launched, operated in Lake Superior Line, Buffalo, NY - Duluth, MN; 120 passenger capacity.
- 1872, Jun Aground St. Clair Flats.
- 1872, Aug 4 Aground Neebish Channel, St.Mary's River.
- 1872, Nov Sank below Sault Canal.
- 1873 - 77 Owned & operated by Anchor Line.
- 1878 - 1904 Same owners, operated by Lake Superior Transit Company.
- c1885 One of first Great Lakes steamers equipped with electric lights.
- 1890, Jan - Mar New upper works.
- 1891, Oct Grounded Pancake Shoal, Lake Superior, jettison flour barrels to release.
- 1905 Owned Montreal & Lake Erie Steamship Co.; C117073; renamed CITY OF MONTREAL; 220 x 32.5 x 14; 1554 gross/ 868 net tons; ran Montreal to Ft Williams, ONT.
- 1906 22 & 44 x 36", 550hp @78 rpm fore & aft compound engine by Bertram Engine Works, Toronto, ONT; two 10 5/6" x 11' 2", 135# scotch boilers, Bertram.
- 1910, Jul Ran Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, St Lawrence River.
- 1913, Mar or May Damaged by fire, Montreal docks.
- 1913, Jun Owned Merchants Montreal Line; rebuilt as bulk freighter, renamed WESTERIAN; 217.5 x 32.5 x 13.8; 988 gross / 580 net tons.
- 1919 Rebuilt Halifax, NSC; 972 gross / 569 net tons; operated by Montreal Transportation Co.
- 1921 Owned Mobile, AL; renamed SULA; US5972; 218 x 32.6 x 14.2; 977 gross/560 net tons; banana trade to Central American.
- 1923 Sold US Marshall's sale, New Orleans, LA, to Waterways Navagation Co., Montreal; renamed WESTERIAN.
- 1925 Damaged in Straits of Belle Isle, Newfoundland, by storm; dismantled, used as storage barge at St.John's.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- International Ship Masters Association
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detr
- Unique ID
- Allan Fanjoy
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 17:40:17