- Original Owner
- J. Macklem, H. Van Allen et al.
- Ownership Notes
- Canadian Joint Stock Co.
- Propulsion Type
- Tonnage Old Style
History and Notes
- 1846, Jun 10 Vessel launched.
- 1847, Jun 1 First voyage; North Shore Service, Lake Erie to run Buffalo, NY - Detroit, MI with LONDON stopping at Port Colborne, Port Dover, Port Stanley & Windsor; accomodating over 300 passengers; noted fastest boat on Lake Erie at the time.
- 1847, Jul Installed colored head lights.
- 1848-1849 Central Railroad Line.
- 1849 Siezed by US at Detroit for custom violation, smuggling. Purchased Eber Ward, ran on Lake Michigan, Chicago - Buffalo.
- 1849, Sep 28 Aground Fighting Island, Detroit.
- 1850 Michigan Central Railroad Line.
- 1850, Aug 30 Damaged in gale, Lake Michigan.
- 1852, Apr 27 Purchased by Capt. Gager, Detroit.
- 1852 Engines removed to CASPIAN, then E. K. COLLINS, PLANET & NORTHWEST; hull made a bark at Ward's Newport Shipyard.
- Largest sail vessel on Lakes.
- 1852, Jul 29 Cargo 50,000 bushels oats; Chicago - Buffalo, new record.
- 1852, Nov 6 Damaged in gale off Erie, PA, carrying coal for Chicago.
- 1853, Apr 23 Owned F.C. Clark.
- 1853, Jul 13 Brought locomotive & 2,300 rails to Chicago; largest load 1,100 tons to leave Buffalo, NY.
- 1853, Oct 10 Sustained some damage to rigging off Point Au Sable, Lake Huron.
- 1854, May 10 Foremast struck by lightning on St. Clair River.
- Owned Walker & Bantam, Buffalo.
- 1854, Oct 12 Gale damage hull, cargo, sails & rigging.
- 1854, Jul 11 Collision with steamer SOUTHERN MICHIGAN at Buffalo; slight damage.
- 1855, Jul Collided with brig GLOBE, Lake Erie.
- 1855, Oct Canvas blown away in gale, Lake Michigan.
- 1856, May 1 Owned E.A. Bruce.
- 1856, May 2 Owned E.A. Bruce, et.al., Chicago.
- 1856, Nov Lost sails & some spars in gale on Lake Michigan.
- 1858, Aug 28 Wrecked off Chicago; cargo lumber.
- Owned E.A. Bruce, Chicago.
- Telescope, Great Lakes Maritime Institute
- Newspaper Clippings
- Mills List
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayze Shipwreck Database
- Beers, Hist
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 16:33:09