- Tonnage Gross
- 1250 tons
- Final Location
- North Point Reef above Alpena, MI.
- Thunder Bay, Lake Huron.
- Final Date Month
- Final Date Day
- Final Date Year
- Final How
- Stranded & wrecked.
- Final Notes
- Bound Cheboygan - Detroit with tow barges J.T. JOHNSON & JOHN KELDERHOUSE; stranded on reef & broke up in gale.
- Crew rescued; boiler & some lumber salvaged.
- 1904, Dec 31 Documents surrendered, Detroit.
History and Notes
- 1870, Jul 19 Launched; $90,000.
- 1870 - 86 Ran package freight between Chicago, IL - Milwaukee, WI -Buffalo, NY; often towed barges G.S. HAZARD or F.A. GEORGER.
- 1873, Apr 14 1142.79 gross tons.
- 1873, May 8 Collided with & sank steamer ARIZONIA, St. Clair Flats.
- 1878, Oct Collided with scow MARY GARRETT.
- 1879 Rebuilt.
- 1880 9'4" x 16', 66# firebox boiler, by Detroit Locomotive Works.
- 1884, Oct Damaged by fire, Milwaukee.
- 1885, Jun 29 Damaged by fire & sank at Milwaukee.
- 1885, Nov Chartered by Lake Superior Transit Line.
- 1886, Apr 5 1023.67 net tons.
- 1886, Nov 13 Owned Aaron A. Parker, Detroit, MI et al., Detroit Transportation Co.
- 1887, Jun Boiler damaged, repairs in Detroit.
- 1887, Jun 10 Stranded off South Manitou Island, Lake Michigan.
- c1887 Chartered by Vermont Central Line for flour trade.
- 1887 Owned A.A. Parker et al, Detroit.
- 1888, Mar 23 Owned Buffalo & Duluth Transportation Co., Detroit.
- 1890, Sep 13 Ran aground leaving Superior, WI.
- 1891 Chartered by Lake Superior Transit Line; towed M.E. TREMBLE.
- 1892 - 95 Chartered by Clover Leaf Steamboat Line to run Toledo, OH - Buffalo, NY.
- 1897 Rebuilt with steel arches.
- 1902, Feb 12 Owned CHarles W. Kotcher, Erin, MI & Charles W. Restrick, Detroit (Kotcher Lumber Co).
- 1902, Mar 31 Rebuilt as steambarge (lumber carrier), Chicago, IL; 1 deck, 2 masts, 1 stack & 1 boiler removed; 221 x 32.4 x 11.8; 919.62 gross / 526.95 net tons.
- 1904, Nov 28 Wrecked.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Newspaper Clippings
- John E. Poole notes, Bowling Green State University
- H.G. Runge Collection, Milwaukee Public Library
- Great Lakes Register
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- David Swayz
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 15:10:36
33476 images/descriptions are openly available.
This image is now available from the Alpena County Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Collection site. This MLibrary collection will be retired on April 16, 2018.
- Add to Portfolio