- Tonnage Old Style
History and Notes
- Sistership ONTARIO; running mates ONTARIO, CATARACT, & NIAGARA; in U.S. Mail Line (Ogdensburg-Lewiston via Sacketts' Harbor, Oswego & Rochester) & the American Express Line (Ogdensburg-Lewiston via Toronto & Kingston).
- 1849, May 31 Enrolled Ogdensburg, NY.
- 1849, Jun First voyage.
- 1850-53 Three enrollments Ogdensburg, NY.
- 1853, Nov 15 On rocks near Oswego, NY.
- 1854 Collision with schooner near Cape Vincent, damaged upper works.
- 1854 Oswegatchie District.
- 1857 Laid up due to financial depression.
- 1858, Jun Owned American Steamship Co., Rochester, NY.
- 1859-65 3 enrollments Oswego, NY; large repairs.
- 1860, May 8 Ashore Eastern gap, Toronto Islands, stuck for several months.
- 1862 868 tons old style.
- 1863 Owned Ontario Steam Boat Co.
- 1865 Readmeasured 998 gross tons.
- 1867 Owned Canadian Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal, QUE.
- 1867, Aug 13 Collision with propeller MAGNET, sinking latter.
- 1868 Rebuilt Montreal, QUE; renamed ATHENIAN C51693; 231.4 x 37.4 x 11.7'; 1083 tons.
- 1874 Owned Compagnie de Navigation Union du Montreal, QUE; ran Montreal-Quebec City.
- 1877 Owned Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal, QUE.
- 1877, Jun Stripped of rigging, probably at Montreal; hull towed to Sorel, QUE.
- 1883, Dec 13 Hulk torn from mooring by storm; sank Chenal du Moine.
- William MacDonald Collection, Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit
- Scanner, Toronto Marine Historical Society
- Newspaper Clippings
- Lytle List
- F.E. Hamilton
- Erik Heyl, Early American Steamers
- Enrollments, U.S. National Archives
- Edward J. Dowling Collection, University of Detroit-Mercy
- Donald V. Baut
- Canadian Sessional Papers||
- Unique ID
- Scanned Image Height (pixels)
- Scanned Image Width (pixels)
- Image Sequence Number
- Date Added/Updated
- 2008-02-20 14:42:02